Thread: 243 Winchester super short magnum

243 Winchester super short magnum

243WSSM
    Right gents I use the word loosly, what can you tell me about this caliber and does anyone have first hand experiance.
    Also does anyone own a Winchester model 70 in this caliber.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I have shot one in a Model 70. Think 6mm Remington except the brass is harder to get and feeding more finicky.
    Also think 307 Winchester, 256 Winchester Magnum, 223WSSM and any number of other cartridges that died in the traces. If you buy one, buy a lot of brass to see you through the time when Winchester finally stops producing it. Rifles here in WSSM chamberings are cheap, cheap, cheap. Nobody wants them. ~Muir

i know a guy who almost started producing his own moderators ( engineering guru) who swears by the model 70 action & has nagged me on several occasions to be his sort of guinea pig & have him build me a model 70 223wssm with a nice tight twist barrel so it can launch really heavy bullets at some serious velocities...
    been seriously tempted i must say...

Nuttyspaniel had a Browning A Bolt in it. Drop him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soother223 View Post
    i know a guy who almost started producing his own moderators ( engineering guru) who swears by the model 70 action & has nagged me on several occasions to be his sort of guinea pig & have him build me a model 70 223wssm with a nice tight twist barrel so it can launch really heavy bullets at some serious velocities...
    been seriously tempted i must say...
    \

Good luck. The Model 70's I've shot in that caliber (2 of them) had a hard time holding an inch with a year's worth of handloads and experimentation. Maybe a custom would be different.~Muir

As 20-250 says I had an A-Bolt in 243wssm. Personally I liked the calibre, but to be honest there aint much between a 243 and a wssm. A bit more powder for a bit more speed. Theres brass about, If I remeber correct Wilsons had some. Mine you through 1/2" groups. Tahr has a wssm as well.

The only reason I got rid was I lost confidence in the rifle not the calibre and was given a cracking trade in price against a 25-06.

Nutty

I had the .223wssm version in a model 70, at first I hated it the mounts were impossible to get hold of and Browning/Winchester were no help at all and had to have them custom made, the trigger was very firm but I got my rifle smith to sort that . Accuracy when the rifle was sorted was very good sub 3/4 " when I did my bit. A local shop to me is selling both versions brand new at 399 so would I buy another ? If I could get the mounts and sufficient cases to reload then maybe it was awesome on foxes and small deer.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    I had the .223wssm version in a model 70, at first I hated it the mounts were impossible to get hold of and Browning/Winchester were no help at all and had to have them custom made, the trigger was very firm but I got my rifle smith to sort that . Accuracy when the rifle was sorted was very good sub 3/4 " when I did my bit. A local shop to me is selling both versions brand new at 399 so would I buy another ? If I could get the mounts and sufficient cases to reload then maybe it was awesome on foxes and small deer.

Leupold and weaver do bases..

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Leupold and weaver do bases..

Nutty
    Yeah they came out about a month after I had mine made As I remember the receiver was short and the base holes were different from normal model 70 one's, Browning /Winchester really cocked up when they launched the rifles as they happily sold rifles and ammo in the full knowledge that mounts were unavailable and their attitude when this was pointed out to them was terrible , I love model 70's and thought the cartridges had a lot of potential especially with longer barrels and home loads but was let down by incompetent sales staff.

The reason for the question is I have just bought a model 70 for 295 new, I though at that price if it did not shoot I could use it for tightening fence wire.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY