Thread: vermin 7mm/08 loads

vermin 7mm/08 loads

i wondererd if any one had tried n540 or varget with 100gr in 7/08, tried 46gr varget and getting 3120 from a 20"barrel and 1 groups out of a howa, any one got an increase on that I might try?

Hi,I'm getting 3050fps from some 120gr nosler ballistic tips 45gr varget.
    I did try some sierra 100gr hollow points from 47gr varget 3100fps out of a 22" barrel.....

did you get any pressure signs at that?

None at all but that's my set up so just be careful if you try it,ok

Speer TNT 110gr over IMR3031 does serious damage to vermin! Can't remember charge weight or seating depth as am abroad but Speer manual max charge if I recall but, as always, follow best practice and work up. Very accurate and seriously motoring out of my 24" barrel.

So here's one to think on. The shorter the bullet for a given diameter, the less the ballistic coefficient. The faster you drive that bullet, the greater the air resistance and the less that ballistic coefficient becomes. So, driving it increasingly faster, decreases it's ability to cut through the air, and lessens it's practical range. So in theory, you could reach a point of diminishing return with added velocity. Weird, eh? ~Muir

yes, but over practical range wouldnt the increase be benificial to trajectory. If this light round was a 5 hundred yd tops?

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    yes, but over practical range wouldnt the increase be benificial to trajectory. If this light round was a 5 hundred yd tops?
    Think on this; I did a .224" 33 grain V-Max and calculated the actual BC at 2 velocities. The first at the speed it was designed for which was 2150 fps. The BC was .146. I then pushed the same bullet to 3200 and calculated the BC and it was .099 to .101 on the days of the trial. So. Push it faster and it slows down faster. In truth it probably equals out on short range, but that much of a drop in BC over distance might have an effect.~Muir

so the difference between 100ft sec on a low bc round may well be detramental to the overal trajectory on a given caliber, correct Muir?

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    so the difference between 100ft sec on a low bc round may well be detramental to the overal trajectory on a given caliber, correct Muir?
    I didn't say so. I said that theoretically, you could reach a point of diminishing returns if you could keep pushing a low BC bullet faster and faster. I offered it as food for thought, not commentary on your quest. I did look at Sierra's site a while back and they post BC's for bullets. Seven MM bullets at 100 grains top out a BC of .209 at 2900 fps "and above" but I believe that this is because they just set the limit at 3000 fps for their computer models. They list three velocity ranges and corresponding BCs. If you graph the increase in speed and corresponding BC drop you get quite a curve. Check it out. It's interesting.~Muir