Which air rifle for a ten year old?

If you want a springer, get a HW 25L which is a junior Weirauch in .177 at about 6ft/lbs. Ok for paper punching but not hunting. Better still get an Air Arms S200 PCP which is a junior size but whacks a full 12 ft/lbs and accurate as hell!
MS

I have had a BSA lightening for years. It's small and easily handled, I got a gas ram fitted and it has plenty of poke for shooting rats, bunnies, pigeons etc. I think it was £160 new but you see them pretty cheap second hand.

I handled a 25L in the shop and came close to purchasing, but ended up opting for a HW30s for my 6-year old lad / 9 year old daughter. It's a little heavier than the 25L but benefits from the better Record Trigger, slightly larger stock and puts out 7-8ft/lbs so will perhaps work for them a while longer than the 25L. At 10, yours is perhaps between Junior and Adult rifles. I had my first at 11, a BSA Mercury and got on fine with it (Father still uses today).

Pcp air arms s200 relatively cheap and nice and light and when he's not using it u can take it out great on pigeons in barns

get get one with a silencer or get a silencer for it

:)

I handled a 25L in the shop and came close to purchasing, but ended up opting for a HW30s for my 6-year old lad / 9 year old daughter. It's a little heavier than the 25L but benefits from the better Record Trigger, slightly larger stock and puts out 7-8ft/lbs so will perhaps work for them a while longer than the 25L. At 10, yours is perhaps between Junior and Adult rifles. I had my first at 11, a BSA Mercury and got on fine with it (Father still uses today).
I had a BSA Mercury also when I was a child then went on to shotgun and bigger cals @ 14 , if your looking for a good wee paper puncher and not wanting him to hunt just now a cheap Chinese one would do just as good a as something to get his teeth into specially if your not sure shooting is for him or not however Weirauch has a good range of starter hunting rifles,

Last edited:
I started with a Weihrauch HW95K. Full power but with a reasonably compact stock which was perfect for me at the time (10 years old). My brother started with a BSA Lightning XL which is a little more compact. The S200 is perfect for children as is most anything by Gunpower, although PCP's are generally much more expensive, especially when you have to buy a cylinder as well. You may like to try a ratcatcher its a crossman i think. About 8ft/lbs very light and runs on co2 so no need to cock a spring and very cheap to run. 1 co2 bulb costs approx 11p and provides about 50 shots.

I started with a Weihrauch HW95K. Full power but with a reasonably compact stock which was perfect for me at the time (10 years old). My brother started with a BSA Lightning XL which is a little more compact. The S200 is perfect for children as is most anything by Gunpower, although PCP's are generally much more expensive, especially when you have to buy a cylinder as well. You may like to try a ratcatcher its a crossman i think. About 8ft/lbs very light and runs on co2 so no need to cock a spring and very cheap to run. 1 co2 bulb costs approx 11p and provides about 50 shots.

+1 for Crosman Ratcatcher. I started both our boys on one and they loved it, plus very accurate to 30 yards. Very cheap if bought secondhand, I paid £25, although you have to keep buying the CO2 bulbs. It's simplicity to polish up the trigger parts to vastly improve it over the factory offering.

My daughter - who's very small for her age (nearly 12) - has a SMK air rifle in .177
We got her the smallest model they do, and it's been great. It's a break barrel jobbie, but she has no probs with it at all.

DSC_0930.jpg

im teaching my 11yr old nephew with a hw57. its been spot on. I went with a hw as my two young sons will no doubt be using and my brothers other lads and so wanted something that I knew would last. It is also pretty handy for dealing with squirrels raiding hoppers.

Back