Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humane Dispatch Arrangements

Humane Dispatch Arrangements

This is not being treated properly by the BDS/Police Forces. BDS look as though they are just in it for the finance from running courses. I'm trying to get a handle on this matter so that some more formal organisation could be attempted.

Please reply with:

1) the Police Forces that have arrangements in place for call-outs.
    2) other local arrangements, i.e. RSPCA etc.
    3) Police Forces that do not want to know.
    4) any other local arrangements.

Any info regarding how schemes are run would be very helpful such as:

a) Who calls you out.
    b) What times of the day is usual, i.e. does it appear that it is when Vets/RSPCA are not available.
    c) Do you do it free of charge or get some expenses.
    d) What size of area do you cover.
    e) Do Police attend when you are there.
    f) Who takes charge of the situation.
    g) Do you provide feedback to the caller.
    h) Anything else

You can PM me if you do not wish to be identified.

Wouldn`t have anything to do with it, and can`t understand why anyone would.

Me too. I think some may have their own interests at heart rather than the injured?

I'm genuinely worried about someone with no experience in this area who's done the course and thinks they know it all.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This keeps coming up I tried for several years before I walked away from BDS to get something in place to no effect
    Reasons
    Apathy
    Police resistance to using "Gun owners" with firearms.
    Many forces Say their own firearms dep't can do it!!
    Elf and safety considerations
    internal wrangling within police forces,(you all know well about resistance to FAC permissions)
    For what its worth I believe there will be very little take up of offers as long as there is such a large anti gun culture in this country getting through to people that we have to be squeaky clean to get a FAC is neigh on impossible.
    To be completely fair Dave Goffin produced the lantra approved dispatch course partly to try and create a bridge
    Finally any compiling of list if dispatchers would have to be police lead

I am trying to address a serious issue here and I am sorry to say this but the lack of sensible replies is typical of the apathy shown by most so called 'stalkers' in the UK. Please answer the questions asked or keep the negative and immature comments to yourselves.
    You can see from the number of posts made by those commenting so far with the exception of 'roedeered' that these posters are very experienced but are unable to show anything but self interest.
    Stalking is not only about meat in the larder but is for the benefit of the deer in general and injured deer are are becoming a large part of the whole scenario.
    Unless the gun ownership in the UK as a whole gets together and works for the good of this 'privilege' then the day will come when it will become more and more restricted and finally strangled.
    Last edited by billh; 28-04-2014 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Unless the gun ownership in the UK as a whole gets together and works for the good of this 'privilege' then the day will come when it will become more and more restricted and finally strangled.
    Why do you consider gun ownership a privilege?... to me it's no more a privilege than owning a car.

It pains me to say it but I agree with Red Dot on this
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

My opinion regardless of the number of posts I have made is that just like a car licence and most other licences we have they are a privilege and not a right. They also may be taken away from you without your permission under a multitude of circumstances.
    Was your FAC given to you or did you have to do something to get it and even more to keep it?
    Unlike the US we do not have a written bill of rights. Even more reason to consider it a privilege.
    Last edited by billh; 28-04-2014 at 18:49.

Will you please read what my last post said about experience and self interest.
    My opinion regardless of the number of posts I have made is that just like a car licence and most other licences we have they are a privilege and not a right.
    Sorry Bill, I respect your opinion even though it's wrong (in my opnion)

Any law abiding British Citizen has the right to own a gun for sporting purposes.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I am trying to address a serious issue here and I am sorry to say this but the lack of sensible replies is typical of the apathy shown by most so called 'stalkers' in the UK. Please answer the questions asked or keep the negative and immature comments to yourselves.
    You can see from the number of posts made by those commenting so far with the exception of 'roedeered' that these posters are very experienced but are unable to show anything but self interest.
    Personally My life would be just as fulfilling if I was never called out to shoot an injured deer again. I absolutely don't want to shoot injured deer, and my reluctance to these schemes is not others taking my fun.

[From someone who does a bit of this work] it's usually not very nice. You are going into a highly charged situation, often with distressed people, often on your own with no police presence. In my experience usually people ring the police/RSPCA with the view that someone is going to come out with Rolf Harris and a camera crew and nurse Bambi back to health. Not shoot Bambi in the head.

The best tool for the job is a shotgun, but if you take a 12G it will be messy. They are noisy and can add to the distress of onlookers. You are managing an accident scene, keeping people back, and safely trying to kill an injured deer. Often alone. It can be a truly awful job. All sorts of legal hurdles regarding permission to shoot, access to private land etc.

I stand by my statement that this is a job for a professional with experience, not a recreational stalker who did a course.

Unlike the US we do not have a written bill of rights. Even more reason to consider it a privilege.
    But we do.......

Bill of Rights 1689 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(the Yanks copied ours, seriously)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.