Thread: 8x57... Long or short action?

8x57... Long or short action?

Hey folks,
    Ran across a used Mannlicher (stutzen) stock but not sure if it swap out. Same rifle (mauser 98) but was on an 8x57 and I have a 30.06. Appreciate any tips. Dave

The 8x57mm case is 57mm long, .30-06 is 63mm so not much in it - 8x57 is normally a long action.

Wasn't the 8x57 the standard German Military calibre and which the vast majority of Mausers were built for, and which are used as the basis for most sporting rifles, which happily take cartridges up to the length of the 30-06. Indeed they can go slightly longer to 375 H&H length, put the need an indent cut into the reciever ring and the front magazine wall thinning.

thanks.... Just gotta win the auction on the stock now

What are the makes and models of the 8x57 and the .30-06?

There may be a slight difference in the Mauser actions. If it is a true Mauser K98, commercial and military will fit the same stocks, including ones made under license, by Steyr, JP Sauer, etc. Even a different one like the BRNO 47 is really only different on the top, above the inletting.

If it is a Yugo 48, it will be a bit shorter. And since Zastava (Yugo) built the Mark X actions they are a bit different from the German.
    Last edited by Southern; 28-04-2014 at 17:59.

Both are K98 is all I know for now... Just sent an email asking for measurements. I work with a gunsmith who will make it fit if something little or buy it from me if impossible so will see if I can get it. Thanks.

It should almost be a drop in. A full stock Mauser is a wonderful thing. I have one in 7x64 with set triggers and scope in claw mounts. It is a lithe little shooting wand with the scope off, and a time machine with it on, while walking the forests. The older Mannlichers have that same magic.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Both are K98 is all I know for now... Just sent an email asking for measurements. I work with a gunsmith who will make it fit if something little or buy it from me if impossible so will see if I can get it. Thanks.
    I don't know about commercial guns but not all military 8x57 98's happily accept 30-06 cartridges. I have modified at least a dozen military 8x57 mags when rebarreling to 30-06 length cases.~Muir

I have an 8x57 mannlicher sporter an old gunsmith did for my father back in the early to mid 50's . Gun is circa WWI it also still has the military barrel but it's been cut to about 19" and restocked with some very nice dark Virginia black walnut in the mannlicher stutzen style . Gun's never been D&T for a scope but it does have an old period correct Lyman peep sight and seems to love handloded Nosler 180 Ballistic Tips .

I "had" a NIB remington 700 Classic in 8x57 . I traded it still NIB . Kinda wish I had hung on to it , but ya can't have uhm all .

6pt-sika,
    I also have a WWI era 8x60S sporting rifle in a very slim stock, with set triggers, under 7 lbs loaded up to hunt. I had an 8x60S Brno 47 in a Mannlicher carbine, but sold it - the craving remained.

I also have a 1937 sporting Mauser in 8x57 which has a Lyman aperture sight on it, and really groups with 195 /196 grain loads in the 2,500 to 2,600 fps range. I love these things.

Since his Mauser is a .30-06 and the feeding works, his should be an easy fit to the new stock.