Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-06 Target Bullets

25-06 Target Bullets

Morning all. Have any of you ever used target bullets in your 25-06? Any recommendations?
    Before I get jumped on it will be used for targets. The thing is that I've just finished the back stop for the farms range and is 300m with another option to shoot much further. Now that the Fallow are basically out and crops are well up, I'll be shooting more targets than game. Currently use 100gr Sierra GameKing's but wanted to see what I could squeeze out of rifle and not be limited by my Cert. on bullet storage if I decide to have a whole day out.

Hi Baggy.
    The Sierra 100 grain Sierra Match King is very accurate and not silly price. Berger made a 115 VLD Target Bullet but have discontinued it but you may find someone has some Stock, Try Norman Clarke. The VLD is a very accurate bullet. Both can of course be mailed to you. Unlike the Orange box Berger .25cal that is Classed as expanding despite being the same Bullet. .

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi Baggy.
    The Sierra 100 grain Sierra Match King is very accurate and not silly price. Berger made a 115 VLD Target Bullet but have discontinued it but you may find someone has some Stock, Try Norman Clarke. ...
    I was in Norman Clark's on Wednesday lunchtime and they have a table full of end of line Berger bullets at discounted prices. Worth giving them a bell and see what they have. However, you're starting to see one of the few downsides of the .25-06. Norman Clark also have some very good prices on powder.

Regards

JCS

Before selling my 25-06 I also tried to find target style bullets for it, they are like hens teeth.
    I gave up in the end.

Sierra Matchking, HPBT 100gn in a Remy 700 vssf, used this so far from 200m to 800m without a problem, using from 48.5 to 50gn Of IMR4350 (now on 49.2). Just shot 300m this weekend and had various vbulls and 5's to count, and at 600m did get a little windy, but when allowed for worked fine. Have no problem with finding the Bulletts to reload , maybe its a sort that is not in too big a demand where I go. Wish there were more various weights, but really I find it just fine.
    Attachment 41330

Thanks guys. I'll give stormin' Norman a call tomorrow. Haven't seen him since Bisley where I seem to remember he had quite a few .257 bullets at clearance prices. Have you tried the Elcho17 Gary? Been using it recently and found it similar to the IMR4350 with unreal velocities.
    Is the VLD Target actually the same bullet as the VLD Hunting??? Seems a little odd. Even the A-Max is different to the V-Max.

Ive shot out to 600yds with 100gr smks in 25 06, they were awesome with I think 52grs of rel 19 at 20 fow off, that was the only time I shot them, think I was 1st or 2nd with them , they were doing just under 3200fps
    Last edited by swarovski; 28-04-2014 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll give stormin' Norman a call tomorrow. Haven't seen him since Bisley where I seem to remember he had quite a few .257 bullets at clearance prices. Have you tried the Elcho17 Gary? Been using it recently and found it similar to the IMR4350 with unreal velocities.
    Is the VLD Target actually the same bullet as the VLD Hunting??? Seems a little odd. Even the A-Max is different to the V-Max.
    According to Walt Berger the .25cal 115 VLD Target and Hunting are the same Bullet. It is the only one they did not change the Jacket on when they changed to thicker Jackets on their Target range of Bullets. Yellow Box is no restriction but Orange Box is FAC only . Our American members must get a Migraine reading things like this but it is the Law and as such we must comply.
    .25cal has never been a popular Target Calibre so not much call for a proper Match Bullet. A bit like the .270cal I suppose.

Yorkie.

With such a selection of match bullets in the 6.5 and 7mm, and so many shooters of them, the .257 and .277 are left out. They are pure hunting calibers, with no military arms, no military matches, no carry over into civilian matches.

Thanks for clearing that up Yorkie and Southern. Guessing it was down to demand not being great enough to warrant the R&D of the caliber. Nicely done Swarovski! Have you tried any other powders and what bullets are you using? At present i'm going through some Elcho 17 and found it very consistent.