Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning - Check you house insurance ref FAC rifles!

Warning - Check you house insurance ref FAC rifles!

Just a heads up really as I have been counting up the value of all my kit to make sure it is covered by various insurances. (It's amazing how much it would cost based on RRP new to replace!!) Just checked with my house insurance and although I'm covered for shotguns and sub 12ft air rifles up to 1500 each without naming them, anything that requires a FAC isn't covered. AND, they are only covered while in transit (whatever that means!!) and not for accidental damage or damage while being used!! Likewise bins, rangefinders, etc, basically any single item below 1200 is covered as standard without naming should they get lost, stolen or damaged away from home!

I'm probably like most people and plump for the cheapest house insurance I can through the comparison sites, but from now on I'll be checking the small print and make sure stuff is actually covered come renewal time!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Yes check and double check,as insurance companies will wriggle out of paying up if they can find any loop hole.

Owning guns, especially if you have any valuable ones in terms of replacement costs, does not go hand in hand with cheap insurance. I obtained a number of quotes for re-insuring last year and they all looked good until the guns were factored in, then up they went, all of them.

Stratts, interested to know who you are insured (or possibly were) with, all my rifles are listed on my house insurance covered in or away from the property, and I have several other items over a certain value listed as well, our premium isn't too bad......that's with nfu.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I use the NFU too and just have them individually listed as per the above post. Made no difference to my premiums.

Plus one nfu

This'll make you chuckle but we've been with Sheila's Wheels for ages coz they have been bonza with costs and cover. That was before I owned guns and really took stock of how much I now own for shooting!! I'm currently going through my 1st ever claim when the landing and bedroom ceiling caved in with water from a dodgy header tank on Friday and so far been impressed with service too!

May change next time round though and a lot of people are saying NFU is the way forward!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Stratts, interested to know who you are insured (or possibly were) with, all my rifles are listed on my house insurance covered in or away from the property, and I have several other items over a certain value listed as well, our premium isn't too bad......that's with nfu.....
    Same here. I am with Direct Line and I made sure I clarified this.