Thread: Free DSC 2 Registration

Free DSC 2 Registration

Dear all

Yes, the title does say free DSC Level 2 Registration.

There's a few wee catches - you have to qualify for the Scottish ILA grant - the main conditions being that you live in Scotland and earn less than 22,000 a year. You can check out your eligibility at: Individual Learning Accounts | Services | Skills Development Scotland

You'll need to register in advance for your ILA account. You also need to register with a centre that can accept the ILA and be prepared for it to take a wee bit longer - about a week.

SRUC can accept your ILA, so worth getting in touch with them.

Before any of the usual type of comments appear - I do assess for SRUC, and no, I don't get paid for assessing portfolios. Advertising SRUC in this way will cause me work and cost me money! I'm promoting this opportunity as I believe in the DMQ system and want to help guys out where possible.

All the best.

James

Well done James I also believe in the DMQ system and like you believe it is to expensive pity only the low paid get the ILA and the unemployed will need to wait till they get a job. Now the DMQ2 Has more holes in it than the holy shroud it is hard to fully support a system that is not close to water tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Well done James I also believe in the DMQ system and like you believe it is to expensive pity only the low paid get the ILA and the unemployed will need to wait till they get a job. Now the DMQ2 Has more holes in it than the holy shroud it is hard to fully support a system that is not close to water tight.
    In what way do you think it's flawed Davie?
    I thought it had improved greatly in recent years with a handful of the more unscrupulous AWs weeded out.
    Last edited by Cadex; 30-04-2014 at 21:29.

Cadex the AW ,s can get that status with out having to prove anything.(JUST ASK AND YOU WILL RECIVE) The three stalks that get done by some are not done by others. The whole system is done on trust and is lined with nepotism. Some of the IV still hold the old southern English values of deer stalking for gentle men of means.
    Any test worth doing has a Robust internal system of checks.
    The system was totally abused at first and I don't think that has change to much in Scotland.
    Reasons the cost is prohibitive and the assessment is over burdened.
    If Scotland is to bring in a level of competence then it has to be open transparent and accepted by all the deer industry. Including the FCS.
    Just my opinion of coarse.

You make some fair points. .
    I think one of the main weaknesses of the L2 qualification is the fact that one AW can sign
    off an entire portfolio....
    To my mind it would make more sense if at least two AWs were involved in the process.

Cadex to my mind most of the AW,S down south are making a shed load of cash from the DMQ system and were there is lots of money there is a chance that bribery and corruption.
    My thinking is one test that fits all. The traininers and teachers teach. The examiners/assessor (Examine) Never should the to meet. That is the only way to get a test that will stand up to scrutiny.

Some good points being made here guys.

Worth noting that DSC is one of the few qualifications I have come across with 100% verification. All the DSC 1 paperwork I produce goes to an internal verifier.

Likewise, a single AW shouldn't be a problem as the assessor should pick any issues up, and if they don't all those portfolios go to an internal verifier too.

On top of that, there will be a percentage sampled by the external verifier.

I note what you say about separation of trainning and assessment, but my worry would be that this could make it harder for guys to access opportunities and increase the cost, especially in more remote areas.

All the best

James

Not at all James what you say is true but the system fails when it is do with trust at long distance a verifier who has agendas or an AW who has a friend he needs through.
    DMQ will need to separate from BASC because it is run with a rose coloured glass and is dictate to by a shooting organisation with profit in mind not deer welfare.
    I could go on but I am sure the days of getting a lev 2 for a bottle of whisky is over (OR IS IT) /
    If Scotland is to make it a law to have a standard then that standard better be up to the job.
    There is so much potential in the currant system but it needs a clear out of the crap.