game licence

wraith

hi in 30 years of shooting i have never sean a game licence :eek: eney one in scotland have one :rolleyes: as a game lisence is recwired by law to shoot eney game hares deer etc what would happen if the police asked for it ever post office i have asked at for one says dont sell them /what about a dog licence then we used to do them :rolleyes: now road tax yes tv stamps yep every thing but a game licence 1 do you tell the nice police officer well if you can find one il bye it 2 if the post office sold them then you would not be nicking me mate 3 leg it :lol:

Game licenses ceased to exist about 3 or 4 years ago in England.
You no longer need one so the police have no reason to ask for one.
basil.

Only South of the Border basil ;) In Scotand you still need one ............................. if you can find someone to sell you one that is :rolleyes: or so it seems.

A few years ago, a friend of mine bought his Game License in the main post office in Dorchester(County Town) on the first day of the license year.
He went back the next year and bought the next one in the book!

The same happened to me at my local post office here in Llandaf. I wonder what the situation was with regard to a Welsh language version? :D The book looked like a remnant from the days of rationing and it wouldn't have surprised me to see GR or GPO stamped on the front.

In England and Wales it is now a relic.

In Scotland it still exists but will be going the same way once there is time for legislation.

The postmaster at Dunkeld is about the only one I know doing the service for "game shooters" by mail.

Note, in Scotland you do not need a Game Licence for deer on enclosed land, you DO for open land.

No one is checking up but for those that choose to argue the point for the sake of it....

Stan

Its also worth remembering that if you DONT have the appropriate license in Scotland ,your insurance is void if you have an accident !!!

2434me said:
Its also worth remembering that if you DONT have the appropriate license in Scotland ,your insurance is void if you have an accident !!!

This is a consideration of mine, but also the embarassment of being unable to produce it in the admittedly unlikely event of being required to.

Not worth it to save a small number of pounds.

How much are they in Scotland, used to be fiver or something not far off, I must admit I never even thought about it for Scotland since they stopped in England :oops:

legaleagle69 said:
How much are they in Scotland, used to be fiver or something not far off, I must admit I never even thought about it for Scotland since they stopped in England :oops:

They're exactly the same as they were in the rest of the UK.

Since they disappeared in England I've had mine posted to me from Dunkeld under an arrangement made by the BASC.

Sadly there's no 'halo'-smiley.

My information is that the Police are stopping wildfowlers on the foreshore at Caerlaverock and if they do not have a game license then they are removing their shotguns.
I do not know what the outcome will be but better to be safe than sorry!

regards
griff

It is so comforting to know that the police are able to fit game license checking in between giving out traffic tickets.. sure all our cousins North of the Border are sleeping much more soundly now :rolleyes:

Being in Scotland, i buy one every year. I actually lost the first one this year, so have had to buy 2. It can be a pain finding somewhere that still sells them but i really wouldn't recommend that you shoot/stalk in Scotland without one - including those travelling across the border.

Earlier this wildfowling season i was stopped amongst others at a popular parking bay on the solway coast by the local plod. Those with licences were quickly left alone to continue their flight but those without (and there was a few) were stopped and their details, including SGC details were taken before their cars were inspected and then sent home. Some very unhappy fowlers as they were warned that their issuing firearms licensing depts. would be contacted.

I personally would'nt disagree on the reasoning behind plod's actions, but it's yet another demonstration of their willingness to target a captive audience, unlike those" people" who would'nt abide by any of the other more salient laws concerning firearms & game. :mad:

You can shoot duck with out a game licence ,anywhere in the uk they are wildfowl not game .

Unless they have changed the wild animals act.

You cannot shoot wildfowl or game birds on a Sunday in Scotland or Xmas day thats the only restrictions.

A game licence is also required for deer on unenclosed land .

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to legislation on this game licence for wildfowl before i become foul of the countries law .

Those without had their cars searched :rolleyes: well if I hadn't taken my guns out and were not shooting then I would have declined to speak with them other than give my name and address. Until you got the guns out and were walking across the marsh I can see very little in the way of an offence being committed unless you were daft enough to open your mouth and say what you were doing :lol:

The first "practical" thing my old mentor taught me was a trout was never caught by the fisherman until it opened its mouth for the fly, so always remember clients are the same, oh and make sure they sign the green form so we get paid before you tell that ;)

In Scotland you can shoot game on Sundays but it is generally not done.

You need a game licence in Scotland to shoot game. Game includes hares, pheasants, partridges, grouse, ptarmigan, blackgame, snipe and woodcock. As stated in above posts deer may or may not require a game licence depending on whether the land is unenclosed or enclosed. There are also exceptions for hares.

There are 4 game licences available:-

an annual one costs £6 and expires 31st July

a short one costing £4, which runs from 1st August - 31st October,

a short one costing £4, which runs from 1st November - 31st July

an even shorter one costing £2 which lasts for 14 days.

They all cost more to issue than they bring in in Revenue!

So the Police at Caerlaverock are acting "ultra vires" ie outwith their authority unless the wildfowlers had shot, or were shooting at game as defined by the game laws or it may be specified in the permit conditions for Caerlaverock that you must have one. I have never shot at Caerlaverock so cannot say about the latter point.

A quick call to BASC should sort it out and get the police a slap on the wrist.

In the circumstances I would also put in a complaint to the Chief Constable requesting some training for the officers concerned, an investigation to ensure they were not acting on any prejudices the individual officers may have against field sports, a written apology from the police concerned, the return of the guns in a cleaned and undamaged condition as well as recompense for loss of shooting, accommodation and other ancillary expenses.

You may only get a verbal apology but it will make them think twice before doing it again!

Bob

Never thought about this, i'm travelling up to Eskdale in a fortnight so i'll need a game license. is there a way i can get one posted? we will be travelling up at night so nowhere will be open when we get over the border. did someone say BASC could get them sent? i'm not a member but my mate who will be with me is.?

Ezzy

Back