Thread: The one that got away!

The one that got away!

, Reading all the comments about this brand of rifle or the other brand being junk, I thought it would bear comment on Remington's seemingly poor efforts , Back in 2003 I bought a second hand Remington heavy barrel PSS, in .223, I think this was the rifle brought to the news in the states by the numpty who was shooting people in filling stations recently etc, I was intending this rifle to be used for fox, it was at the right money, so I took it home, fit & finish was of a standard to leave me only the one job, of finding a load for it. within a week it was shooting into a quarter inch at 200yds with Benchmark powder & sellier & bellot 50grain bullets, I went on to relieve a good few farmers of chicken killers with this rifle, I only had one major gripe with this rifle, the weight!, I used to get back home after carting it round all night totally wrecked, so we parted company I replaced it with a Tikka M595 .223, Just as accurate but built in comparison like a sportscar. I purchased the Remmy back again two years later for Mrs Finnbear to shoot target. So not all Remmy's are junk.

Re: The one that got away!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    , Reading all the comments about this brand of rifle or the other brand being junk, I thought it would bear comment on Remington's seemingly poor efforts , Back in 2003 I bought a second hand Remington heavy barrel PSS, in .223, I think this was the rifle brought to the news in the states by the numpty who was shooting people in filling stations recently etc, I intending this rifle to be used for fox, it was at the right money, so I took it home, fit & finish was of a standard to leave me only the one job, of finding a load for it. within a week it was shooting into a quarter inch at 200yds with Benchmark powder & sellier & bellot 50grain bullets, I went on to relieve a good few farmers of chicken killers with this rifle, I only had one major gripe with this rifle, the weight!, I used to get back home after carting it round all night totally wrecked, so we parted company I replaced it with a Tikka M595 .223, Just as accurate but built in comparison like a sportscar. I purchased the Remmy back again two years later for Mrs Finnbear to shoot target. So not all Remmy's are junk.
    Does that mean mrs finnbear can handle the weight better than you?

Sorry!

As Mrs Finnbear could quite conceivably swim the channel, I would say that her shoulders bear the weight much easier! 8)

Finnbear,

Even a company like Remington can make some good ones nowadays

As you know Remington have been through some ownership changes which entailed huge cost cutting programmes and things suffered due to it. it's a shame that one of the oldest gunmakers should go this way but it's happened. You would ahve thought they might have learned from Winchesters demise but it seems that they haven't done so.

Let's hope it's not too late for Remington we cannot afford to lose such an established name really.

now I will make no bone about it that I dislike the Remington 700, I don't liek the way it feels nor the way it's made. It reminds me of a sten gun made out of tubing like it is

My only gripe with Remington, other than the prices, is the fact that they ARE built like a sten gun only not as reliable! The extractors are made of heat treated paper-clips and the bolt handles are brazed on to the body. I have seen both of these items fail at critical shooting times. I have a couple of Rems I use for Varmints and Target but never far afield.

Savage is the better gun if you ask me. It too is bits and pieces but nothing brazed on or held in place by clips. Too boot, you can do your own barrel swaps with the Savage. I kind of like that. In my experience, Savages out shoot Remmys as well. ~Muir