MTC Optics Mamba 1-4x24 Scope

Fabnosh

Counsel needed folks

I'm looking for a scope for the very odd occasion I do driven boar that will do the job. I can't justify top end glass so I'm looking for something around the sub £300 mark. I saw this scope and wondered if anyone made use of one and, if so, how did it perform.

I'm an avid S&B fan and were this to get a lot of use I'd head that way but, as I said, can't justify that investment given the use profile. I have no set views on make so if anyone has other suggestions that meet the price then don't be shy - as if you lot would be - let me know

Thanks

FN

I am looking at the Leupold equivalent - similar sort of money and whilst not as bright as S&b are the standard kit on top end American custom rifles.

Hi fabnosh. I have a hawke 1.5 - 6 x 44 eclipse. It has an illuminated centre dot reticle red or green. I havent had it on a big rifle but it has worked well on my 17 hmr and air rifles. Its great for picking up rats in low light. I belive its a glass etched reticle which is really clear.

I shoot a 1.25-4.75x30 German #1 in a discontinued scope. It sits on a .375 H&H now.

The Leupold VX-R, with duplex or German #4 and an illuminated red dot is a very nice scope. A friend has one on his .375. I had a Vari-X III 1.5-5 on previous .375 - great scope, and the VX-R or VX-3L is better.
SWFA Riflescopes Leupold Hunting Riflescopes Leupold VX-3 / VX-3L Riflescopes

The Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42 4A reticle, Illuminated, interests me, especially since it is on sale at a blowout price. Having owned and shot through other Trophies, my guess is it has a good eye relief, and easy to get the eye on. And it is $220 vs $500 for the Leupold.

Bushnell - 1.5-6x 42mm - Illuminated 4A

Likewise, the Bushnell 1-4x24mm 4A IR... worth looking at.

For 20% more, the Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch 3 Riflescope, or the 1.5-4.5x20.

Review on some lever actions
http://www.chuckhawks.com/nikon_1-4x20_monarch.htm

Last edited:
One other thought, while reading the thread on "underlever" rifles: make sure these newer scopes have enough mounting length on the tube to set them in the rings for your eyes. That is a problem I have with my Rem 700 LA and my magnum actions My (discontinued ) Burris FFII 1.25-4x24mm mounts perfectly on a short action like my M70 Compact or a Rem Model 7.

I've just returned an MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40 which I gave up on the day I got it home.

Bought it for my .22LR and although its clarity was good it was dire in anything other than good light.

I put a little Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75-5x32 on instead, which is like night and day compared to the MTC.

That's my fourth bad experience with MTC scopes - clarity is usually pretty good but, in anything other than good light conditions, the ones I have tried all suffered terribly.

My uncle uses a little Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32, a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35, and a gorgeous Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24 on his boar guns.

Back