Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I have to tell my landlord?

Do I have to tell my landlord?

Hi folks
    I'm thinking of applying for my first FAC this year, subject to joining a local rifle club and other "good reason" etc. I live in a rented house (moved in last week form a flat in suburban Birmingham to a cottage in Worcestershire village - Excellent!) and the landlord has told us "make it your home, do whatever you like" so we've already decorated. My question is, do I need to/should I tell the landlord I intended to fit a cabinet and keep firearms? I don't want to risk him going all anti. What would you do?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Hi
    I would only tell the landlord if you are having problems fixing the gun safe to the"fabric of the building" or if you require better locks on doors and windows.
    if the security is ok with the police then I don't think you have any obligation to inform the landlord that you have firearms in the house.
    regards
    Norm

Not sure how you stand with a private landlord, I do know some councils do not allow their tenants, to keep firearms on their property, unless you have applied for and they granted you permission to do so.

Have you signed a lease?

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Have you signed a lease?
    If you have you should have a tenancy agreement which should list all the things you are not allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Have you signed a lease?
    Yes, nothing specific about firearms in there. It does say we have to inform/get permission on any modifications, but we already have permission to decorate and change what we like so to my mind fitting a cabinet would come under that remit...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I'd ask your FEO for his/her view...

There might be some legal reason for informing the legal owner of the property as they might need to:
    1. Grant permission in writing for the FAC application - in which case you might as well ask them to be a reference.
    2. Inform their insurance company.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Yes, nothing specific about firearms in there. It does say we have to inform/get permission on any modifications, but we already have permission to decorate and change what we like so to my mind fitting a cabinet would come under that remit...
    Fitting a cabinet and filling it are 2 very different things though
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

the last two properties I've lived in were rented and neither time have I informed my landlord. My FEO was aware I was in rented accomodation and made no issues or even questions about asking my landlord. When I moved out I filled the bolt holes and painted so there was no visible damage or any evidence a cabinet was there just like I did with any picture hooks etc.

I spent two years in Scotland in two separate rented properties a couple of years ago, the first of which was when I applied for my FAC. Each FEO was aware that the properties were rented. They were both rural settings and in each case I stated that I was to fit a gun cabinet and make good any repairs and neither Landlord had a problem. One of the Landlords was the Church of Scotland as it was a Manse.
    I believe that unless there is something specific in your Short hold Tenancy Lease, then the tenant has every right to enjoy the property as if it were their own, provided it is lawful.
    Would it effect his buildings insurance? I doubt it, the property is more likely to broken into for theft of a DVD player and jewellery than firearms.
    Up to you whether you want to be upfront about it and risk him saying no or be happy that you are enjoying the property as if your own and keep quiet.
    Last edited by Virbius; 30-04-2014 at 10:07.