Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you taste it ??

Can you taste it ??

This query has arisen after long talks with my shooting mate, who is a doctor, and my daughter, a clinical pharmocologist.

Deer are wild and their reactions are geared to their environment and at the slightest hint of danger, they run !

At the moment of acceleration from danger, Adrenalin is pushed into the bloodstream to improve the reaction against whatever perceived danger.

Recently I shot a roe and the shot was too high, smashing the shoulders and spine and dropping the roe on the spot.

It was several minutes before I was able to get to the poor beast laid paralised and helpless and kill it with a knife. Whilst laid waiting for me, was the roe still pumping adrenalin into the bloodstream ??
    If the brain is still thinking 'ESCAPE' it seems possible to me that the deer is still filling it's own system with adrenalin which, on death, is still flooded thruoghout the bloodstream.

So, what are the effects of this compound within the system? Can the meat, fed by the blood circulation, be affected by this compound?
    If so, will the taste be altered?

2 People said this roe did not seem as nice as usual, these being casual comments and not part of the talks about the delayed death of the beast.

I would value any comments from you experienced members.

Brianm

Meat can be affected by the stress factor,
    I am no expert but Morena may be able to give an explanation.
    basil.

I've been told that a stressed animal tastes differently aswell. There are quite a few sites that deal mainly with slaughterhouse practices but they should be just as relevant.
    http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/mqf_stress.html

Re: Can you taste it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm
    Recently I shot a roe and the shot was too high, smashing the shoulders and spine and dropping the roe on the spot.

It was several minutes before I was able to get to the poor beast laid paralised and helpless and kill it with a knife. Brianm
    I would not call myself experienced, but had you shot it with your last round?

KevinF.

I've eaten loads of 'stressed' animals and I certainly can't tell the difference. What about deer chased and dispatched by the stag hounds? I'm sure they taste ok?
    In china and Korea they hang dogs up and beat them to death before eating as the stress supposedly tenderizes the meat!
    I don't think I'll try that method though!

I think I'd like to try that on our eastern cousins

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    In china and Korea they hang dogs up and beat them to death before eating as the stress supposedly tenderizes the meat!
    I don't think I'll try that method though!
    I cant remember the programme name but ill never forget seeing them being skinned whilst still alive..

Bloody barbaric and needless..

I may have seen that one. I cant remember if it was the same programme but there was a pressure cooker/steamer type thing aswell, full of kittens.......apparently for collecting the "medicinal" juice!!!

Re: Can you taste it ??

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm

It was several minutes before I was able to get to the poor beast laid paralised and helpless and kill it with a knife. Brianm
    I would not call myself experienced, but had you shot it with your last round?

KevinF.
    Hi Kevin,
    not exactly clear what you mean by shooting with the last round, would
    you elaborate,if you mean that it should have been shot again I certainly wouldn't for a beast lying down...who knows whats underneath it,nothing wrong with despatch by knife " coup de grace" if done correctly,in the
    unfortunate event that the bullet hasn't done the job in the first place,
    and it happens.

regards
    Orionsarms

What stress does to an animal when it produces adrenilin is,it uses up the glycogen in the blood stream,and,it can cause something called 'PSE' (Pale, Soft, and Exudative Meat)this meat at it's worst can be as hard as bell metal.In cattle,trying to negate the effects of this they have used a small electric shock treatment to help to release the tension on the large muscles as these are the ones to get effected first.On a personal note though I have never found this phenomenon in deer that have had to be given the 'coup de grace' as you said.I think that would be due in no small part to the(hopefully anyway)rapid blood pressure drop after the initial shot which would of course stop this from happening.I hope this is of some help,but,as has been said I am sure Morena will be able to throw even more light onto the subject..............'M'