Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From rasp to knife.

From rasp to knife.

Here is my first attemp at making a knife from a farriers rasp. There are mistakes and I know some of you guys will notice but any constructive critacisum will be greatly recieved.
    TuskerAttachment 41398Attachment 41401

Hiya
    Looks pretty damned good to my eyes - Well Done!

L

Overall it looks good only thing I would say is that the handle looks too big for the knife, but hey I am no knife maker!

Cool. How did you cut and grind it? Did you anneal it then work it? Then temper it again? I would love to hear more.

My first knives were made from a broken crosscut saw blade, then one from a file, then one from a piece of a shattered band saw blade from a saw mill, about 2.5 by 14 inches to start.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Here is my first attemp at making a knife from a farriers rasp. There are mistakes and I know some of you guys will notice but any constructive critacisum will be greatly recieved.
    TuskerAttachment 41398Attachment 41401
    Just shameful.... Send it to me so there's no chance of your buddies seeing it and I'll send you 2 or three rasps to practice with....

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Cool. How did you cut and grind it? Did you anneal it then work it? Then temper it again? I would love to hear more.

My first knives were made from a broken crosscut saw blade, then one from a file, then one from a piece of a shattered band saw blade from a saw mill, about 2.5 by 14 inches to start.
    Hi Southern, first I cut the rasp to reqiured length then i heat it to cherry red and let it cool. Then it was just a case of hack saw, file and sanding disk on a drill it was damned hard work. Once I had the shape and profile I hardend the blade by heating and quenshing in sump oil.
    Lots of polishing with wet and dry starting with 260 grit down to 1000 and to get a final polish I used 2000 wet and dry.
    For the handle I soldered the brass finger guard then apoxy resin red fiber,moose horn, red fiber and for the main bit black burl ash (stablised). Finaly finished with Danish oil.
    Almost all the work was done by hand the only machine i used was the sanding attatchment on an electric drill.
    Thanks for the interest, Tusker

That's neat. What fun, and memories for me.

For years, all the Buck knives were made from worn out files saved for the Buck brothers by the machine shops in their home town. It is super good carbon steel, and just the right sizes for knife blades, with a half tang already there.

When I was a boy, I found a big book in the school library, written during the Depression, of how to make all kinds of things, how to recycle things into new tools, toys, etc. It had an entire chapter on making knives and farm tools out of scrap like files. I did exactly what you did, and made a Bowie knife. Then I used a diamond wire blade on a hacksaw to cut a skinner out of a saw blade without having to anneal it. We had a big, foot-pedal water stone, and I shaped it and sharpened it on that. I still have it.

People go on about today's economic depression being the worst, I doubt it.
    They have just lost the abilities that were honed (pun intended) from the necessities of life back then.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Just shameful.... Send it to me so there's no chance of your buddies seeing it and I'll send you 2 or three rasps to practice with....
    Daven, you are very cheeky, but you never know you might get one. This knife has too many mistakes to let anyone use it but myself.
    as I run a stud farm you can imagine I get many rasps from our farrier, I think I now have 6 to be going on with.
    if you like this stile of knife I will make one for you at cost + postage.
    Tusker

In terms of unemployment rates, they are officially 15% in the US, average from 2009 to now, the official total of all unemployed, not the 6.3% reported as those looking for work and filing with some govt office. That is as bad as 1932 - 1940, and much of Europe is worse. In the 1930s, more people lived on farms, and could at least feed themselves a little something. We saved everything and found ways to make something out of it, or scavenge a part to keep things running until we could repair it properly.

What kind of horses do you raise? I grew up with all kinds, but now the old farm is for eventing and steeplechase. The nearby ones are polo, thoroughbred and steeplechase, with some dressage thrown in.