Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm i better off with it?

I'm i better off with it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	41404This Past weekend my self and and a few friends went thru our DCS1; To be onest was nothing new to me.(going thru a series of hunting tests)
    I been Stalking for the best part of 5 year but been hunting for the best of 15, original from Portugal were a exam is compulsory, and you have one chance a year ,
    failing is waiting untill next year.
    I got my licence in Portugal and that gives you more then the right to hunt but also the understanding of what lives out there.
    to my eye is a good thing.
    We did the DSC1 with James Scott at JMS Very Professional and relax approach, highly recommended .
    My point hes, what is your views on hunting Qualifications ? Should they be compulsory ?

No I sincerely hope it never becomes compulsory , as for these so called qualifications I'm not a huge fan apart from someone who has literally never shot a rifle or seen a deer before ,but as I've said before it's a whole industry with people making a good living from it is it's in thier interests to pass it off as worthwhile
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    No I sincerely hope it never becomes compulsory , as for these so called qualifications I'm not a huge fan apart from someone who has literally never shot a rifle or seen a deer before ,but as I've said before it's a whole industry with people making a good living from it is it's in thier interests to pass it off as worthwhile
    I am not sure about compulsion but DSC1 & 2 are useful benchmark qualifications to show to others that you have a basic knowledge of wild deer.

atb Tim

Don't worry you Thant any one apply for a Firearms certificate then wanders in the country side learning as it goes. Surly we need a base to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I am not sure about compulsion but DSC1 & 2 are useful benchmark qualifications to show to others that you have a basic knowledge of wild deer.

atb Tim
    Hi Tim I see what your saying but I don't really feel the need to show off to anybody my knowledge or otherwise of wild deer I know what I know and that's that , don't feel the need to show off
    atb Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sercout View Post
    Don't worry you Thant any one apply for a Firearms certificate then wanders in the country side learning as it goes. Surly we need a base to start with.
    such a person could book a few stalks with a pro if no friends are available to show them the way , no need for any qualification
    atb Jim

SD Regular
    I agree. And shame on those from that fraternity who even press, with nods and winks, for it to be made "de facto" an obligatory requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sercout View Post
    Should they be compulsory ?
    It's an interesting question, and you can make a good case for 'yes'. I think moving forwards into the future these things are likely to become more common - especially for newcomers into shooting. I can't really see a good argument against it. Obviously no need to have any qualifications for accompanied stalking.

I appreciate not a popular view, but I spend a lot of my time and money studying for qualifications and going on courses to better myself professionally. Doing my level 1 & 2 was the most natural thing in the world if I wanted to shoot deer.

There are many people out there who have been doing this a long time, yet they are doing it wrong. If they at least know what 'best practice' is, they can consciously deviate from it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I'm not judging any one, but i thing just because you ware given a rifle/shotgun do not make you a hunter . and at the moment is a bit like that.
    my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Hi Tim I see what your saying but I don't really feel the need to show off to anybody my knowledge or otherwise of wild deer I know what I know and that's that , don't feel the need to show off
    atb Jim
    Perhaps I should have chosen my words a little more carefully.

It is not a case of having something to brag about, neither DSC1 or 2 makes you a deer expert, but if you are buying stalking by the outing or having discussions with local bureaucrats about deer the paper qualifications are useful.

atb Tim