American members

In a mall in North Carolina I asked a store assistant where I could get a pen (to write a postcard).
She directed me and I found myself surrounded by kitchen stuff.
I went back and asked again, she said "right over there sir...pots'n'pens".

I went off to see if I could order a beer successfully somewhere:).

In a mall in North Carolina I asked a store assistant where I could get a pen (to write a postcard).

Loads of simple mistakes in the differences between the two languages (english and american) are made round these parts (two american airforce bases nearby).

None of these simple errors of pronunciation and terminology can match the near international incident that nearly occurred when a good few years ago, whilst shooting rifle competitions in the states against the American military one of our chaps (smallest bloke in the team!) asked a big yank if he was going to go and do the marking at the target end. (Known as the pits, in american parlance we later found out) Unfortunately he used the British terms and nearly had his head ripped off when he asked "are you coming to join the Butt party?".
The Chap stood up and looking mightily upset stated in no uncertain terms "I ain't joining no ******* butt party"

A quick bit of translation was rapidly offered....

This tale is of 2 guys I know who went to the States for an update to their diving instructor trainer status….
So after the morning’s paper work, a dive was booked for the afternoon....
(I have dived with them and they have never been shallow to say the least)
There was the usual pre dive banter on the boat from my friend to the Americans hosting the dive…(he is from Newcastle)
An informal dive for all as the update required them to go diving…As people were coming back on board the dive supervisor was going around checking the depth/times etc…
So numbers were being shouted from around the dive deck from the American divers
Alongside how the dive went...
Hey Jack how was it? A hell of a dive Mac we dove to 45…
45!! Yea 45….Hell of a dive I tell ya…
So this went on with the dive supervisor shouted out…Hey how did you limeys get on?
So my friend shouts back…58…and the group looks around with one piping up.
58!! Yes replies my friend 58..
So the guy says who do you think you are Jack Cousteau?
Then the dive supervisor asks my friend was that 58 feet…?
No…. 58 meters….

Tim.243

Back