Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An outsider, here to say hello

An outsider, here to say hello

Hello Guys.
    My name is Geoff and I'm very much an outsider, here on a mission if you can help.

I'll start by saying sorry for hijacking your board, but hope you don't mind my asking a question.

I came across your site by chance when I saw an old thread regarding grey squirrel tails and what use (value) they may have. Well, I am looking for a small supply of this material which I will bleach and dye for use in fly tying.

I don't know if any of you guys work in pest control and are allowed to sell-on the tails you acquire, but I'd be interested in buying some if they become available.

Again, sorry to have imposed on you, thanks for your consideration.

Geoff

Welcome to the site, you may get lucky, there are usually plenty of feathers available too.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome Geoff wish you were closer I'd be able to help you out but a bit of a trek I fear lol
    I'm sure one if the lads here will help they're a good bunch

Regular Poster
    Welcome to the site Geoff. You'll probably find quite a few fly tyers on here. I'll send you some squirrel tails no charge the next time I can which shouldn't be too long away. I'll PM you then. Later in the year if you need any other stuff for pheasant tail nymphs etc you'll be able to get all sorts of feathers like that and CDC. Do you ever use deer hair? Now might be a good time for that too. I haven't tied trout flies for ages but used to be keen as mustard when a student. Now mostly salmon the night before when I realise I've lost / leant the ones I was hoping to use. Caught fish on collie dogs made from the farm dog's hair, made stoat's tails from stoat's tails and dare I say it, I've even genuinely convinced myself of the theory that female feromeones do attract fish!

If you want to pop round to my garden with an air rifle, you can fill your boots with squirrel tails, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Welcome to the site, you may get lucky, there are usually plenty of feathers available too.

John
    Thanks for taking the time to reply JayB.
    Geoff

Hello Jimbo,
    I should have mentioned I'll pay any shipping, thanks for your reply.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    Welcome to the site Geoff. You'll probably find quite a few fly tyers on here. I'll send you some squirrel tails no charge the next time I can which shouldn't be too long away. I'll PM you then. Later in the year if you need any other stuff for pheasant tail nymphs etc you'll be able to get all sorts of feathers like that and CDC. Do you ever use deer hair? Now might be a good time for that too. I haven't tied trout flies for ages but used to be keen as mustard when a student. Now mostly salmon the night before when I realise I've lost / leant the ones I was hoping to use. Caught fish on collie dogs made from the farm dog's hair, made stoat's tails from stoat's tails and dare I say it, I've even genuinely convinced myself of the theory that female feromeones do attract fish!
    Hi Foss,
    generous of you, but I'd pay for anything you get your hands on. I will charge for what I do, so don't expect owt f' nowt.
    Can't go near deer, my eyes itch for a month after, unless it's bucktail already in a bag.
    ALLEGEDLY, the pheromones do work.
    My kingdom for some mature pheasant tail feathers.
    Geoff
    Last edited by Fly Tying; 01-05-2014 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    If you want to pop round to my garden with an air rifle, you can fill your boots with squirrel tails, no problems.
    Hello PM,
    I've never owned a catapult let alone a gun. Grateful for the offer though.
    Geoff

Where in west Sussex are you? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say on an open forum. I work all over Sussex so could drop some off next time I go pest shooting.