Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level one queries

Level one queries

Can anyone tell me if you are still aloud to have the seasons on a card in front of you when you do your DSC1?
    and are the ID pictures in the book the same ones that they use on the test.

Ezzy

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    No to the seasons you need to learn them.

The photos are now slides on a cd. Most of the ones were pretty straight forward just look for the distinguishing marks, ie white hocks on sika, the different rump markings, the long teeth on CWD, facial markings on Muntjac etc etc

Hi ezzy..

Youll have a great time fella doing your level 1

Time spent with your head in the training manual will make the course that bit more enjoyable..

Good luck and let us now how you get on

Terry

Definitely no to both questions! But as Gareth says, there are no trick pictures, and there will always be ID features showing if you know where to look.
    Good luck!

Ezzy,

No and No.

Stan

dont get to hung up on the id part, you will be shown the signs to look for to id the deer. They are not there to trick you, only to help you learn more about aspects of all things deer. have fun and good luck!

I too worried a bit about the ID part as I'd never seen a roe, muntjac or CWD. Living here in Ireland and spending a lot of time in the Outer Hebrides those species are not present.

However, I was reassured on arriving to do the course when I discovered that most of the others had never seen a deer at all. In truth there was nothing in the photos to catch you out and all of the deer were easy to ID. In fact I'd say the photos all showed pretty much stereotypical images of the deer both in terms of species and sex.

SD Regular
    I too worried a bit about the ID part as I'd never seen a roe, muntjac or CWD. Living here in Ireland and spending a lot of time in the Outer Hebrides those species are not present.

Which if all you are ever going to do is shoot the deer that are found there shows the pointlessness of the whole thing. Except of course to serve to make money for those who would force this upon us all.

From memory the hardest picture when I did it was a CWD buck in long grass. There just happened to be a sneaky bit of grass right in front of the tusk. You had to look closely but it was visible. The rest of the photos were very straight forward.

Some guys even brought their binos along in case they were sat at the back

Alex

Ezzy, I saw you're going up to eskdale so you must be going to Ronnie's. If that's the case then don't worry and just look forward to it because he's great and it's really a comfi set up. He'll keep you right!