Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighter factory .308 rounds choice

Lighter factory .308 rounds choice

Hi chaps is there much choice out there for lighter .308 factory ammo?

I've decided to stop dicking around with my rifle choices and variations and stick with my .308 after some sound advice on here and reading various articles. One of which was in the Shooting Times recently but I'm not sure if the lighter ammo, 110gr and 123gr is readily available in factory rounds or just for reloading?

Any ideas on the choice out there and does anyone use the lighter factory rounds?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Sako do a 123gr soft nose in 308w (that what my dad shoots).

You may have to get it ordered in for you, any good local gun shop can do this.

what i would suggest is get them to order twice your max purchase limit, get the first lot when they come in and when you go to pick up the second get them to order you more, thats how I done it for some of the difficult to get ammo (110gr for a 7mm rem mag)

Hope this helps

Andy7mm

hornady do 110g tap ammo
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Sako now list 3 123gr ready made, Gamehead and Speedhead and another 102gr hollow point and in 308

Why? What advantage do you hope to achive with "lighter ammo" over "heavier ammo?" Are you talking ammo for deer or something like a 110grain V-MAX for vermin?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Only used 150gr in mine so far but they shoot great in my rifle and don't do too much damage on the venison (shot Munties roe and fallow with them). Not sure if lighter bullets would do too much damage?

Hornady offers the .308 Win Custom Lite 125-gr SST ammuntion at MV of 2,675 fps.

I load up a similar round for my Savage 99C saddle gun, and for my FR-8 Mauser, which is not meant for the high pressures of commercial .308 loads.
    I used 125-gr Sierra, the SST and Nosler BT with 39.0 gr H-4895 for 2,650 fps from a 24-inch barrel, so less from these carbines, also good for 200 yard M-14 or FAL.

42.0 gr will get you to 2,800 fps, to match a good 150-gr load in trajectory, so you can leave your sights alone.

These 125-gr bullets can be pushed to 3,100 fps, but if you want to go fast, better to switch over to IMR-4895, Varget or RL-15, which will all give you around 3,000 fps with low pressures, in loads of 48.0 grains, which are below maximum.

The 130 grain bullets can be used in similar fashion. You can use a less expensive one for practice and most hunting, like the Speer 130 HP with 46.0 of Varget, RL-15 or IMR-4895 ( 45.0 gr of H-4895 flavor) for about 2,900 fps. I have just started playing with the Barnes TTSX 130-gr, which promises to be a 3,100 to 3,200 fps sub MOA bullet, rivaling the .270 Winchester.

Sorry, should have elaborated a bit more. I'm curious to try some lighter rounds in the .308 to see how they shoot/group which would then allow me to see whether I could just have it as a single rifle for all my shooting, instead of having .243 as well. It may be that I need to keep both but if one or the other just ends up sitting in the cabinet unused I don't see the point in that!

After all why have money tied up in a rifle, scope, sling and ammo gathering dust in a cabinet?!

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    Sako do a 123gr soft nose in 308w (that what my dad shoots).

You may have to get it ordered in for you, any good local gun shop can do this.

what i would suggest is get them to order twice your max purchase limit, get the first lot when they come in and when you go to pick up the second get them to order you more, thats how I done it for some of the difficult to get ammo (110gr for a 7mm rem mag)

Hope this helps

Andy7mm
    simpsons of newmarket have them ,if that helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	41427
    Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Sorry, should have elaborated a bit more. I'm curious to try some lighter rounds in the .308 to see how they shoot/group which would then allow me to see whether I could just have it as a single rifle for all my shooting, instead of having .243 as well. It may be that I need to keep both but if one or the other just ends up sitting in the cabinet unused I don't see the point in that!

After all why have money tied up in a rifle, scope, sling and ammo gathering dust in a cabinet?!

Cheers
    I tried that one the other way around ,but sadly found the ligher bullets mess the munties and roe up alot so i end up with 170 grn geco sp that made a big diffrance to meat damage as it slowed it up a bit . and now i have a 243 as well ,i told the wife it was my summer gun
    Last edited by berg; 01-05-2014 at 14:16.