Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale Question, Maybe One For Brithunter

Parker Hale Question, Maybe One For Brithunter

Hi All,

I'm looking at a new (to me) rifle and as I already have a PH Super Safari that was cheap and has been great I've decided to stick with PH.The choice is between another Super Safari or what I think is an 1100 Deluxe.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of both and if there are reasons other than aesthetics for choosing one over the other. They are both similar price/condition.

Also does anyone know what the production dates were for these two models? I thought the 1200 Super Safari was only made until the early eighties but the guy selling this one reckons it dates from the mid nineties.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim xyz; 01-05-2014 at 14:21.

As far as I know, they are all made from the same action, adapted from a shedload of military surplus actions acquired at the end of the war. The differences are all in the quality of the wood and shape of the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    As far as I know, they are all made from the same action, adapted from a shedload of military surplus actions acquired at the end of the war. The differences are all in the quality of the wood and shape of the stock.
    Matt they were originally but at a later date Parker Hale bought in commercial Mauser actions from Spain.

Jim it is just possible that these rifles were made up until the mid 90s as Parker Hale went out of business when the pistol ban was introduced Smith & Wesson pistols being a large part of their trade at the time.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi
    Nowt wrong with Parker-Hales - I still have my original M81, good as gold.
    Brithunter on here is knowledgeable on Parker-Hale rifles - would be worth contacting him.
    I understand he also has some vintage P-H catalogues that may assist/advise.
    Cheers, L
    Last edited by Loki; 04-05-2014 at 08:33. Reason: Spelling

Jim it's funny that you should be trying to decide between 1200 Safari and a 1100 as I just happened to be looking at the very same rifles last night owned by fellow members of our rifle club. Actually the 1200 was a superclip model and in a rather worn condition. The guy that owned it was complaining that he had never been able to remove the action from the stock and was wondering if there were any hidden fixings apart from the two stock screws.
    The 1100 was in much better condition though obviously much used but it had been looked after better. I actually think that this rifle has had more use than the 1200 as the owner was until recently a keen stalker. The style of the floorplate on this one suggested that it was a later made rifle.

If we overlook the fact that the one had a detachable magazine and the other a hinged floor plate I would say that the only real difference between the two was the stock style. While the 1100 may not be to everyone's taste I actually preferred it to the flashier and dated "Weatherby styled" 1200. The first centrefire rifle that I owned was a 1200 safari which I purchased used for 90 back in the late 70s, the previous owner having only fired 9 rounds through it zeroing and on a Scotland trip. Unfortunately the poor guy was killed in an accident on a building site not long after his return from that trip. It was a good solid rifle and shot very well with the right ammo and I kept it for a number of years until tempted by something else.

Thanks for the answers Guys,

I've gone for the 1200, to be honest I prefer the style of the 1100 but as the 1200 is the higher model I'm working on the fact it should be slightly better built. I suppose as with anything made in England during that period it's a bit of a gamble but I couldn't pass up on the chance of an buying one that's never been used having been stored as unsold stock.

And as it's identical to my 22.250 I won't have to explain to my good Lady why I've got another rifle.

Cheers,

Jim

No gamble Jim, they were simple and well made and frankly the only real difference between the two will be style. The only real gamble will be if you buy one of the very late ones that was made by the Gibbs rifle company in the U.S.
    Loki mentioned that he has a M81 which was the last real Parker Hale model and a real classic. I would be sorely tempted if I ever come across one of them in good condition.

P.S. One suggestion though, put some decent steel mounts and rings on it and not those nasty allow ones that Parker Hale used to fit.
    Last edited by 8x57; 03-05-2014 at 08:05.

SD Regular
    I have the M81 Classic in 270 Winchester and, as 8x57 syas these are really nice looking. However as I am now changing rifles I am looking to dispose of mine and here is a picture of it. It would come with the Redfield mounts...which were on the rifle when I purcgased it...but not the Zeiss 'scope or rings. I don't know whether t auction it or sell it privately. I also have the very last, as far as is known, catalogue that P-Hale produced. In this are pretty much all their rifles, the 1100, 1200, M81, Midland, Lightweight Stalker etc., etc..

Attachment 41521

Enfield I would be very tempted if it was in .308 as I got rid of my .270 reloading kit a few years back and settled on the .308 purely because the selection of bullets locally was better. I wish that I had kept my Parker Hale catalogues now, I never realised that they would become collectable.

P.S. You should have mentioned the Scout model (1300). LOL.

Thanks for the info 8 x 57,

Now I'm a bit worried though, is there any way of telling if it's a proper Parker Hale or one of the Gibbs ones?

Cheers,

Jim