luck or is it just easy

pete evans

i dont have a lot of time to mess about reloading (getting out stalking and lamping takes up enough) so my "routine" is to tumble brass full length resize trim champer prime then seat bullet. i have always just set the seating die by using a factory round and then work up from min load in grain incriments looking for pressure signs.

now ive done 2 loads for 243 and 2 for 308 all have shot well yesterday did a 100yrd 10 shot group with the 243 that measured 3/8" centre to centre and a 300yrd 3 shot group with the 308 that was 3". feeling pretty happy with that.

i read loads about neck sizing, neck tensioning with crimps moving the bullet relative to the lands etc. have i just stumbled on some straight shooting loads or do some people go to unnecessary lengths? when i started i was fully prepared to have a total ball ache of a time fannying around trying to get accuracy but this just hasnt been the case.

pete

Looking good. I tend to do the minimum when it comes to reloading as all the extra effort is wasted on me....I just don't shoot well enough to notice the difference between "bog standard" reloads and "premium" reloads.

In the field there is enough going on re wind, weather and shooting position to open up your groups anyway so this "levels the playing field" between the good stuff and the adaquate stuff.

Having said that I spend time finding a stable load using the Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight load development process.

Regards

You were just lucky. As pennance, you must never use any of those loads ever again. ;)

You may have gotten a tad lucky but ou are using good basic techniques so you will get good results. I like the fact you took OAL from a factory round. Smart move. I have spent hours haggling thou's of an inch off of the lands in varous cartridges and most of the time, seating deeper and thereby providing good neck tension, I got better accuracy.

As I was telling a person with similar circumstances to yours; You now have your "go-to" loads and are free to experiment with neck sizing and crimping if you wish. Otherwise, shoot and be happy. The Red Gods of Reloading have smiled on you.~Muir

I agree with Scotspine re Dan Newberry's optimal charge weight load development process. produces a good load which allows for small variables/glitches.

Bob

i read loads about neck sizing, neck tensioning with crimps moving the bullet relative to the lands etc. have i just stumbled on some straight shooting loads or do some people go to unnecessary lengths? when i started i was fully prepared to have a total ball ache of a time fannying around trying to get accuracy but this just hasnt been the case.
pete

Yes, a lot of people get carried away and start using techniques that wouldn't be out of place for 1000 yard bench-rest reloading, where every 100th of an inch difference in group size is vital. Let's face it though, even on a muntjack my aiming point is about the size of an A5 sheet of paper. On a roe it's about A4 size. I do like to produce ammo that's as accurate as possible, but don't get twitchy if my group size at 100m sneaks out to one and a half inches.

At stalking ranges you got the right combo quickly so why spend more time / effort. Fantastic. As Harry says if however you want to shoot target say out to 1000y its the extra precision, consistancy and extra steps that make or break vertical dispersion........ you literally need to work out exactly what it is that you want to achieve in your reloading and then go apply.

Back