Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide ir 518 EC or pulsar HD38s

Guide ir 518 EC or pulsar HD38s

Has anybody used both of these units back to back and can give me a honest opinion?
    i know the Guide costs more but does it outperform the pulsar or is it not worth the extra cost?
    i would really like to hear what you have to say if you have used both these units.
    Tayfix
    Smile and more people will smile with you.

Buy the pulsar
    Atb steve

Pulsar every time.

Why is that then? Not disputing anything but I thought the guide had a longer detection range and different colour palettes which sometimes helps with recognition on those shitty nights for thermal ?? I read the pulsar has better battery life and lighter etc but less detection range and only black and white hence the cheaper price.
    I'd also like to know who's used both side by side that can give an 'actual' 'fact' type of reply. The only one I've read is George (Pesca's) who actually owns both and he seemed to prefer the Guide and that was the older model..
    Hopefully I'll be comparing both side by side within a week or so, just waiting for the delivery of a pulsar..

I have a guide 518c and use it regular and wouldn't swap it a pulsar sound good but the guide us
    better and I haven't tried a pulsar

I own the Guide 518C (first model) and the 38S. I've now had the guide for 2 years and the Pulsar for only maybe two months. I've used them both side by side.

Which do I feel is the best for my eyes and other major factors?

Best image and greater detection range*****Guide
    Convenience of push-button, on-board recording******Guide
    Most compact size and lightest weight******Pulsar
    Best battery life******Pulsar

If I'm out on foot, the 38S is my goto unit. It's quite a bit lighter than the Guide and easily fits into a pocket. If solely in a vehicle, I'd take the Guide.

Out on a long session with the Pulsar, the batteries lasted 6 hours. There was still life left in the batteries when I turned the unit off. The Guide has a battery life of 1 - 2 hours, depending on outside temperature. Both take four AA rechargeables. I frequently change the batteries on the Guide in total darkness. I would only attempt this with the Pulsar if I had a spare, filled, battery cassette with me, as the cassette battery terminals are terrible.

My old eyes prefer the image on the Guide, which I use in full auto. I prefer a bright image. The Pulsar has a tendency to border on sepia, as opposed to black, white and grey scales. The detection range on the pulsar is excellent. The Guide detection range is outstanding. The heat source on the Guide is brighter.

With a simple push of a button, the Guide can record stills or movie to an SD card. If you like to record, the Guide is much more convenient than having to add a dvr to the Pulsar.

The Guide is two thousand pounds more than the Pulsar. You pay your money and make your choice. Me? I'm keeping them both

George

What a well balanced, factual reply, very interesting. Personally I don't find the guide heavy or battery life an issue. As George said it's easy to change the batteries in complete darkness but when in a vehicle I use a screen so plug the guide into an external power supply at the same time which does make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't shoot dear View Post
    What a well balanced, factual reply, very interesting. Personally I don't find the guide heavy or battery life an issue. As George said it's easy to change the batteries in complete darkness but when in a vehicle I use a screen so plug the guide into an external power supply at the same time which does make life easier.
    Sorry to hijack but what screen do you use? Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Tis1979 View Post
    Sorry to hijack but what screen do you use? Regards
    Yeh I would be interested to know too.

I find the guide great, haven't used the pulsar so can really comment.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

I really don't want to give the impression that the Guide is a heavy unit, as it isn't.

Without batteries, on my crude kitchen scales, I get the Guide to to 700 grams and the 38S to under 400 grams.

For some reason, a particular retailer advertises the Guide at 500 grams and the 38 S at 470 grams. Maybe thats the Pulsar with batteries and the Guide without.

George