Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTA distpatch

RTA distpatch

22/04. Incident xx attended by Xxx Mature Muntjac buck trapped in car radiator grille with only head and one leg visible. Vehicle parked on garage forecourt. Muntjac dispatched with knife due to location and ricochet hazard. Police in attendance. No issues raised.

Just thought you might like to see what Hampshire's HAD teams have to sometimes deal with as part of the voluntary efforts,
    i have removed the incident number and the persons details and the location.

i know there many some SD members who don't like helping without payment and that's there view, but here in the Hampshire there are 60-70 members who help when asked for nothing, but too giving a little back to the sport we love.

tony

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Well Done Mate,+1 on that,see you at the HAD Meeting !

Captive bolt would be useful.....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Folding silenced .410 with 9 grams of No.6 shot. No exit so no ricochet risk. Less traumatic for all concerned and less danger to the dispatcher. About as noisy as a springer air rifle which is perfect for urban use. Every RTA/Humane dispatcher should have one!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Folding silenced .410 with 9 grams of No.6 shot. No exit so no ricochet risk. Less traumatic for all concerned and less danger to the dispatcher. About as noisy as a springer air rifle which is perfect for urban use. Every RTA/Humane dispatcher should have one!
    MS
    some good and interesting comments, but I don't think every member of Hampshire's team is going to have a captive bolt or a silenced folding 410 just in case he gets a deer stuck in someone's car, A knife is perfectly acceptable and is in the best practice,
    But I do agree with MS about the 410 being probably the best tool for the job as most people do have one in there cabinet, but getting it silenced would be costly if it could be done at all.

cervus look forward to meeting you on the 22nd.

Tony

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery

I've got a captive bolt and a .410 but it's not moderated! Got one of these as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Another good one for Hampshire HAD pity other police forces are not of same mind as yours.

Please do not encourage the use of a knife. It should be at the tail end of weapons to use. Captive bolt first, then a light load in a .410 is very adequate. A .22 short may have been OK. Noise is a secondary issue that can be overcome by waiting for the right moment, even captive bolts make a noise. At least mine does but its very old.

My old head keeper used his hushpower .410 for humane dispatch on calves, pigs and deer at various times at anything from 1" to 1yard. Very effective. I've just recently part/x'd mine or else I'd have offered it on here for someone to put to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Please do not encourage the use of a knife. It should be at the tail end of weapons to use. Captive bolt first, then a light load in a .410 is very adequate. A .22 short may have been OK. Noise is a secondary issue that can be overcome by waiting for the right moment, even captive bolts make a noise. At least mine does but its very old.
    Billh,
    it doesn't have much to do with encouraging people to use a knife,
    its there as a tool to be used,if it is appropriate,
    each RTA call out is different, the person who attended this one is very experienced and has attended many,
    he was called out by the police, when he arrived at the sense he took control and used his experience and judgement to end the suffering of the muntjac as quickly and safely as possible.

its very easy to sit in our armchairs and say what we might have done...!

Tony

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery