New Member - East Lothian

Dads Taxi

Good afternoon. I am based in a village near Haddington and as you may guess from my user name, I seem to spend a lot of time taking my children to their sporting activities to the detriment of my own! I am determined to address that balance.

I am a keen outdoor sportsman and particularly enjoy fly fishing however I am very keen to re-activate my shooting pursuits. Currently most of my shooting has been / is in the Lake District, however given the number of deer around here, perhaps I should look closer to home. I am a keen airgunner and also have Rimfire, Fac Air and a .25-06. I have a slot for .22 centerfire, about which I will be seeking advice, however I think my most pressing requirement is learning how to home load with advice on equipment please.

I will try to use the search function before asking potentially stupid questions.

Many thanks

Welcome from just down the road.

Forget stalking in East Lothian. Look further afield if you fancy stalking.

All the stalking round this way is well tied up, and no triggers are pulled unless money is involved.

Cept for the odd one taken from a stalkers car window that is ;)

We are lucky in that we are surrounded by the borders, and Fife, where decent stalking is available, and at sensible rates.

Hiya, Welcome to the SD, a fantastic forum..you will have a god time here.....:)

I'm up and down the A1 past Haddington all the time, going to N.Berwick etc etc... and yer right, the amount of Roe in the fields next to the road is amazing...:)

I am amazed - given the numbers involved it doesn't look like any stalking takes place let alone active management!

That's because there is no management.
You`ll find you can`t get permission anywhere, because a handful have it all. They only shoot somit when they can get money from it so no proper management goes on.
I say this about MOST of East Lothian, before the very few come on who do try and manage.

Doesn't have to be. We really are in the middle of some great ground. There is good let stalking in both Fife, and further south in the borders as there is throughout the central belt.
East Lothian is just a little place in the scheme of things.

Very few people have stalking on there doorstep, so it`s no great shakes.
It depressed me years ago when I first started, wasting money on training as I thought it would help. It soon dawned that training meant hee haw, and it was who you knew.
It made me look elsewhere, and I have found some amazing stalking in the past while, so don`t fret too much about it.

get a shotgun though,, plenty doo shooting round your way.

Back