Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vets - are their bills too large?

Vets - are their bills too large?

One of my Cockers went to vets with difficulty in moving rear legs and not wanting to walk up or down steps. Dog had milk and was fat. Vet scanned animal and diagnosed a closed infected uterus and calcification of a small spinal injury near tail. Wife inquired as to possibility of cancer, vet said its not likely. Dog was weak so put on drip and antibiotics overnight. Different vet looked at her next day and identified same spinal problem and x-ray was carried out. Second vet said he did not want to do anything until he had spoken to first vet. Another night on drip and AB. We were called by vet next day and told dog had a tumor the size of a tennis ball on underside of spine between rear legs. We said for her to be put down and collected dog in afternoon. Bill was then presented for 667.

Sorry apache
    Last edited by billh; 03-05-2014 at 19:56.

Small animal vets, play on the fact you may have insurance, and that it's a pet, bills for large farm animals seem to be a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Small animal vets, play on the fact you may have insurance, and that it's a pet, bills for large farm animals seem to be a lot less.

You obviously have never had a horse treated by a vet....

Depends where you are in the country. Our vets are very cheap - ceasarian 50, post mortem 16, callout 17, etc etc. But this isn't an affluent area. My sister is a vet in the south west of England, and she laughs at what ours charge. She'd add a naught to all the prices I've quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Sorry apache
    Oh, I don't mind discussing these things one bit. I'll let the thread run a bit an interject later.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I have just finished having a shire treated for a ulcer in the foot, bone scrapes, x rays the works. still not as expensive as having your dog treated hour for hour.

Apache you made the mistake of telling you are a vet again, and with that comes the need by others to question your need to justify what you charge and why.
    you have overheads and people to pay, also the cost of drugs which you can not control, so I have no problem when I have to go to the vet, I have nine dogs and have to visit the vet from time to time.
    you pay for what you get and if your vet has tried his/her best and the outcome is death then you still have to pay.
    very sad but but a fact....

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

I love these threads!

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Depends where you are in the country. Our vets are very cheap - ceasarian 50, post mortem 16, callout 17, etc etc. But this isn't an affluent area. My sister is a vet in the south west of England, and she laughs at what ours charge. She'd add a naught to all the prices I've quoted above.
    I wish we had the same vet ,We have only one vet you can guess the rest