Need Loads, Please.

Muir

I just got a CZ 527 American Varmint in 204 Ruger and am about to reload for it. I need the most accurate loads for this rifle, please, using 32 and 40 grain V-Maxes and using a Remington 7.5 primer. Oh, and should I go with Lee Dies? or use the Forster Competition dies I bought at the time I got the rifle? Should I just wait until I get the Lee Factory Crimp did before even beginning?? Oh, if it makes a difference on the loads, it's got a walnut stock and CZ rings.~Muir

PS: Only kidding about needing loads. But I am about to reload for the new bang stick thanks to the generosity of MarinePMI who sent me 50 pcs of Hornady 204 Brass last week. I'm going to prep the cases tonight but wait til Tuesday to reload as I will have the Factory Crimp Die by then. Can't wait to hit a prairiedog with it.The Marine says I'll abandon my .223 in favor of it but I doubt it....

I just got a CZ 527 American Varmint in 204 Ruger and am about to reload for it. I need the most accurate loads for this rifle, please, using 32 and 40 grain V-Maxes and using a Remington 7.5 primer. Oh, and should I go with Lee Dies? or use the Forster Competition dies I bought at the time I got the rifle? Should I just wait until I get the Lee Factory Crimp did before even beginning?? Oh, if it makes a difference on the loads, it's got a walnut stock and CZ rings.~Muir

As you obviously have little idea of what you are doing,it would probably be best if you were to buy and read a few decent re-loading manuals, before pestering us with silly questions :p

Neil. :)

My .204 will put 10 shots of my favourite homeloads into a single .15" hole at 300yds.

I'm using 40 grain Q-tips over a lightly compressed 45gr of Bullseye. This load is not only accurate, it even removes the primers for you.

P.S. This load is safe in MY rifle, you must start low and get worked up.

And buy several reloading manuals, take the average of the recommendations and then start 10% below this.

My .204 will put 10 shots of my favourite homeloads into a single .15" hole at 300yds.

I'm using 40 grain Q-tips over a lightly compressed 45gr of Bullseye. This load is not only accurate, it even removes the primers for you.

P.S. This load is safe in MY rifle, you must start low and get worked up.

And buy several reloading manuals, take the average of the recommendations and then start 10% below this.

Look. Are you going to help me or not?? I said I wanted the most accurate load for MY rifle. And we can't get the 40 grain Q-tips at the moment. Too much panic buying.

Who needs reloading manuals when you've got the internet??~Muir

PS: Does the addition of an extra QD swivel up front change the barrel harmonics enough to influence the primer choice?? Better take that into consideration. Maybe someone could run that through Quick Load??

Last edited:
Don't worry if you can't get Q-tips; with the 40gr V-max using the same recipe I had a two shot group approaching sub-MOA. These .204Rugers just plain shoot!

I'm encouraged. Is there a member in the Wyoming area that can come by and set up my dies for me? And maybe my powder measure?~Muir

I'm encouraged. Is there a member in the Wyoming area that can come by and set up my dies for me? And maybe my powder measure?~Muir

You don't really need a powder measure. Each one of those little grains of powder is, well, one grain of powder. Just count out however many grains of powder your recipe requires and you're sorted.

Obvious when you think about it.

PS: Does the addition of an extra QD swivel up front change the barrel harmonics enough to influence the primer choice?? Better take that into consideration. Maybe someone could run that through Quick Load??

A simple check to see if the harmonics are altered by the swivel:

1. Check the firearm is unloaded
2. Carefully blow across the muzzle, like a Venezuelan pan-piper.
3. Listen to the tone produced and write it down (use the SAAMI-recognised do-re-mi nomenclature.)
4. Affix the new swivel and repeat the exercise.
5. A change in tone indicates a change in the barrel harmonics.

If the above confirms a change, Try hammering in a magnum primer. The extra oomph allows the resonating oscillations of the barrel to jump the QD to get to the higher accuracy node.

Last edited:
You don't really need a powder measure. Each one of those little grains of powder is, well, one grain of powder. Just count out however many grains of powder your recipe requires and you're sorted.

Obvious when you think about it.

A simple check to see if the harmonics are altered by the swivel:

1. Check the firearm is unloaded
2. Carefully blow across the muzzle, like a Venezuelan pan-piper.
3. Listen to the tone produced and write it down (use the SAAMI-recognised do-re-mi nomenclature.)
4. Affix the new swivel and repeat the exercise.
5. A change in tone indicates a change in the barrel harmonics.

If the above confirms a change, Try hammering in a magnum primer. The extra oomph allows the resonating oscillations of the barrel to jump the QD to get to the higher accuracy node.

Gosh! Thanks! You make it all sound so simple! :tiphat: I've got to find my tweezers and magnifying glass. And I'll lay off the cigarettes for a bit so I can get up the wind to blow the pitch. You've saved me a world of grief! ~Muir

If you can get your hands on them Muir the 20 cal Sierra bullets are the best for accuracy, 39 grainers are the most accurate I have tried the 32's weren't far behind, the hornadys and remingtons (same thing I believe) were not as good although I have not found anything that wouldn't shoot under an inch. The nosler 32's and barnes grenade 26's were ok but not in the same league as the sierras which were pretty accurate across all the loads that I tried.. This is all in the VarTarg of course in a 1:10 twist 21" barrel, but might be useful info for you.

If you can get your hands on them Muir the 20 cal Sierra bullets are the best for accuracy, 39 grainers are the most accurate I have tried the 32's weren't far behind, the hornadys and remingtons (same thing I believe) were not as good although I have not found anything that wouldn't shoot under an inch. The nosler 32's and barnes grenade 26's were ok but not in the same league as the sierras which were pretty accurate across all the loads that I tried.. This is all in the VarTarg of course in a 1:10 twist 21" barrel, but might be useful info for you.

Thanks Tom. I have all but eliminated the Sierra's from my list after seeing that they took a huge price jump in price this past month. Whereas V-MAx cost $18/100 the Sierras are costing $28/100 -and I shoot a LOT of prairiedogs throughout the year. I'm not sure a prairiedog it worth a 28-cent bullet. I will try to work up a load with the V-Max. I saw an advertisement from one of our distributors that shows 32 gran VMax for $64/500. That's hard to beat. ~Muir

I think I paid $24 before christmas, i'll not get through as many as you though. I am shooting crows as far out as I can so the accuracy is really important to me, crows aren't that big, mind you I have no idea how big a prairie dog is come to think of it. My chosen load shoots 0.3 moa at 3390fps from just 18.8 grains of N130. So you see, get a Vartarg and what you save on powder can buy you a better bullet...:norty:

Muir,

I have decided to help you.

Just send the rifle and all your consumables to my home address and in only 3 short years I will work up a load for you.

I will test the load with around 10K firings and then return everything to you. I should be able to recommend a supplier for your new barrel.

Incidentally, I don't know if American banks use the direct debit system - but do not worry, I will accept a monthly cheque for the consumables and range time.

Plese let me know when you will be sending the rifle.

All best,

Charles

What a fantastic offer Muir - don't pass this one up!
Charadam is an incredibly knowledgeable chap - he took me to our local range and let me put cooking fat down the barrel of his flintlock
Ed

PS Buying a 6mmBR Charles - do you fancy a shot or two?

Last edited:
Muir,

I have decided to help you.

Just send the rifle and all your consumables to my home address and in only 3 short years I will work up a load for you.

I will test the load with around 10K firings and then return everything to you. I should be able to recommend a supplier for your new barrel.

Incidentally, I don't know if American banks use the direct debit system - but do not worry, I will accept a monthly cheque for the consumables and range time.

Plese let me know when you will be sending the rifle.

All best,

Charles

Now that's an offer! You guys should take lesson in generosity and good will from Charles here. Man, you're the best! A new barrel. I always wanted a new barrel on this rifle.~Muir

I think I paid $24 before christmas, i'll not get through as many as you though. I am shooting crows as far out as I can so the accuracy is really important to me, crows aren't that big, mind you I have no idea how big a prairie dog is come to think of it. My chosen load shoots 0.3 moa at 3390fps from just 18.8 grains of N130. So you see, get a Vartarg and what you save on powder can buy you a better bullet...:norty:

I really didn't buy the rifle because it was a 204. I bought it because it was too good a deal to pass up. I think I paid $400 US NIB. If I had my druthers, and eventually I will, this rifle would be a 20 Practical. I hate begging for brass or even considering buying Nosler. I have about 50 pounds of .223 brass that could be made into 20 Pract in a heart beat. Next season I'll have the rifle set back and rechambered...maybe. See how it shoots first, and see how well my lady friend likes it. It us the perfect 'loaner' rifle for visitors who want to shoot PD's: darned little trajectory to memorize or deduce.~Muir

Prairedog: It varies. I tell people to envision a 20 ounce soda pop bottle. That would be about right as an average.

Now that's an offer! You guys should take lesson in generosity and good will from Charles here. Man, you're the best! A new barrel. I always wanted a new barrel on this rifle.~Muir

Muir, I want you to know that my offer was sincere and I have applied for the necessary variation in advance. My firearms department have reacted instantaneously - even during a Bank Holiday - and have given me a Temporary Permit to allow me to receive the .204.
If you know anything about UK Firearms law, you will recognise the improbability of the above.
Still, I can live in hope!

Back