Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what would you do???

what would you do???

i was driving back from diggle today when i had a very very close call with a roe dear at 60 mph and i started thinking.if i would have hit it rear end and it was lay there suffering your natural instinct is to humanely despatch at the side of the rd.the thing is my rifle is conditioned for range use only so i would break the law.would you be selfless and despatch the dear and risk prosecution given passing motorists are bound to call it in.or stand there looking helpless with a rifle in reach.

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    i was driving back from diggle today when i had a very very close call with a roe dear at 60 mph and i started thinking.if i would have hit it rear end and it was lay there suffering your natural instinct is to humanely despatch at the side of the rd.the thing is my rifle is conditioned for range use only so i would break the law.would you be selfless and despatch the dear and risk prosecution given passing motorists are bound to call it in.or stand there looking helpless with a rifle in reach.
    Plan B. Find an alternate method of dispatching it "that does not cause undue suffering".

If Plan B not available then opt for Plan C.

Plan C. Pass the buck, to plod.

Stan

P.S. No problem with a shotgun, that's covered under Plan B.

Whatever I had to do to end up with venison in the fridge

Neil.

DSC Level 1 Main Paper Question and Answers Reference Document
    This document is a reference guide for the Deer Stalking Certificate main question bank.

(Q) You can have your rifle and ammunition for that rifle in your car on the public road only:
    (A) If you can prove you have lawful authority and reasonable excuse.

(Q) A deer may be killed in England, Scotland and Wales with a .22 rim fire without breaking the law:
    (A) When the deer is injured or in distress to prevent further suffering

or my any means to prevent suffering so i would have shot it as you were and had a reasonable excuse .
    or am i wrong !

none of the above state only if you are a stalker ! OR deer on your cert to do so

my choice would have been let it suffer of let off a 284 rem 32" barrel f class rifle with no mod (not discrete) i would never want to see an animal suffer and i'm glad i did not have to make that decision in seconds.nor do i fancy going to jail for despatching a firearm no matter how carefully from a public highway.

If lying on ground, put a coat over the head to calm it down then drag into nearest field then use rifle to despatch humanely out of sight of passers by. That is my view but some will have different views, all to their own.

S

Being a biggish lump of a fella myself, I could have used my body weight & a coat to access the atlas joint with a knife , there's usually around five or six in the truck still sharp enough, failing that a bundle of coats will catch any splash from a soft point.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

i only had a leatherman so not up to humane despatch.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Being a biggish lump of a fella myself, I could have used my body weight & a coat to access the atlas joint with a knife , there's usually around five or six in the truck still sharp enough, failing that a bundle of coats will catch any splash from a soft point.

To kill the deer is not illegal, as has been rightly pointed out. There's provision in law for despatching suffering animals. To do it on the highway is possibly another matter as, of course you don't have permission to shoot there normally. With the exception of members of schemes designed for such eventualities.

In practice, especially if you're somewhere where help will be a long time coming, then I doubt very much that the authorities would take any action over it. But that doesn't make it any less illegal. There is also the safety aspect to consider. If you only have a high powered rifle to hand, there's the road and associated road furniture that could cause ricochets, there's the safety of other road users, damage to property, distress to members of the public. In effect, quite a lot of things to consider. As a shooter, you'll be used to assessing situations, but probably not with these variables.

If you have a shotgun with you, most likely you'll have ammunition designed to kill small game and keep the carcass pretty much intact, with the penetration to reach the vitals of a pheasant. Perhaps at close range good enough for the small deer species, but I wonder about big deer. I've no experience, so I may be wrong, but I think I'd worry I'd end up having to reload and shoot it a number of times, with that in itself causing more distress and pain to the animal.

As you can probably surmise, I've never been in this situation, but if I were, I honestly don't know what I'd do. Much to think about.

A .410 shotgun with even the smallest charge of shot will be more than enough at the range required, in effect a .36 caliber bullet.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!