Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dsc1+2 - are they necessary?

dsc1+2 - are they necessary?

Hello,

I am relatively new to hunting in the UK and would like to really get into the stalking of deer. I have FAC with deer legal calibres, but wondered what steps are needed to get out there. Is it necessary to complete the dsc qualifications to be allowed on land to stalk?

Thanks

Expect many different replies on thier merits but the simple answer is no not at all
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

The dsc qualification is not compulsary, but you would be advised to get it, i do a lot of stalking with a friend and dont have my dsc but intend on getting it soon, in the meantime you can find plenty of stalking with various estates just by paying for it
    good luck
    Ray

iam on the fence but doing mine ,

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    iam on the fence but doing mine ,
    +1 but looking at doing it in the future.

Certainly a "deja vu Rodney" topic

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    Hello,

I am relatively new to hunting in the UK and would like to really get into the stalking of deer. I have FAC with deer legal calibres, but wondered what steps are needed to get out there. Is it necessary to complete the dsc qualifications to be allowed on land to stalk?

Thanks
    Do you have rifles conditioned for deer or AOLQ?

Depends what you want out of the whole deer 'thing' really. As said you could just pay for stalking and learn the basics as you go.

The good thing about DSC1 is it puts much of the theoretical and factual knowledge of deer stalking, from all angles into a structured framework for you to learn. Even if you had several good mentors it would take you a very long time to learn everything the DSC1 covers.

Nothing can substitute experience though but the DSC1 keeps you on the straight and narrow and you can build on it by putting into practice all the theory until you feel you have the necessary practical knowledge and competence to do the DSC2 assessment.

For some stalking opportunities it is required or at least an advantage to have either 1 or 1+2. But for all the naysayers, at the very least, once you have them, they give you the satisfaction and the confidence that you have both the knowledge and the practical experience to meet a good standard of working.

i do agree with TB but dsc 1 do's not teach you what to do once you have pulled the trigger ! i am doing mine now and have been stalking for a long time so dealing with the after event is no probs . I just feel it should be more about what to do pre and post kill, than at what time of year do's xyz drop its rack etc !how many new to shooting have all the paperwork in place to shoot a wild or fenced animal but without help just can't get on with the act of dealing with a carcass with no real hands on training seams about face to me , dsc1 then 2 for and inc the larder ?? or am i just way out of line in my views .

There are two very polarized opinions on the subject. I believe it is necessary as well as good practice to follow every avenue possible to assure yourselves you are doing things right. Things change, new techniques and knowledge becomes available, so I feel that not only we should learn, but we should update our knowledge.