which one?

tika.308

its renewal time for me and i just thought i would ask,to see how many would go for a .243 or a .25 06? go easy n each other lads i dont want you falling out over this :lol:

as already stated it depends on what you are stalking ? if you were going to take any reds at all or your main species was fallow 25-06 but if not then i would go for the .243 i used to have one and to be fair to it it was a nice little rifle to shoot

I would choose a .270 mate. :confused: :lol:

I would also think about the availability of ammo from your nearest shop. Having never owned a 25-06 i aint sure how common the ammo is, but you can get .243 from anywhere, it`s a tried and tested round which does the job. :rolleyes:

wadas

Hmmmm it will depend on what you want to use it for as the others have said. Now wadashot raises a good point about ammo avialabilty. I was lucky as my local shop carries a fair selection in 25-06 but it certainly ain't common in the UK from my experieince, limited even though it is with the 25-06 :( , if you think .243 is too small then yes the .270 is excellent. As I believe I have mentioned before is that ifi it's a close toss up chose the rifle that feels best to you.

im thinking roe/fallow as i have my .308 for larger deer. i used a 25 06 a few weeks back and it was a really nice round (cheers malc)

243 for me :lol: but it depends whether you shoot wild boar as you cant do it with a 243 300wincester mag or bmg50 are good out to a mile if your in to longer rainges :eek: just kiding 243 for me fao wouldent give me bmg50for roe deer :evil:

Well Andy as you know I have 243, 25.06 and 270 amongst some of my armoury :D

But for a flat shooting knock em down round the 25.06 is my choice. I have even used it in Africa on Wildebeest and they all went down. Ammo might be a bit hard to source as some have mentioned, but I have never been in a shop where it was not available. However I load all my own so if you were stuck I am sure I could sort something out ;) if you decide to go the 25.06 route.

See you very soon

Sikamalc

cheers malc,as you know i did put down for a .243 but last week i phoned my feo and said to him if my licence hadnt been processed that i would like to change it to 25.06. my local rfd stocks wadas,s favorite privi,s so i know i can get them to feed it with,will have to see.the feo has been to see me tonight and he says he will sort it.i just wanted to see what others thought.

tika.308 i am with sikamalc the 25.06 is a great rifle to shoot and very popular in the south west on roe deer.
I have taken all the larger uk species with mine and would hate to part with it and i have yet to have a problem finding ammo for it factory or bullets/heads
Wise choice tika.308
Good luck and straight shooting
ATB
RICK O SHEA

I got one last year & I likes it !!!!
Nice & soft , accurate & flat & does the business on the deer .
As far as I know the only privi ammo available is 100 grain , bit light for big stuff ?? I suppose you've still got your .308 for that .
I'd have thought you'd be into reloading by now , I bought the privi for running it in & re using the cases with 120gr Sierra's .

What will you call yourself when you get a new un ??

;)

I bought a .25-06 (Sako 75) about 5 years ago, and my .243 has barely seen the light of day since.
Flatter for longer shots, and more knock down power, meaning very few runners. Have used it on all spceies, save CWD, with no issues.
For info, I use Federal Premium 100 grain, and havn't had much problem getting hold of them, though I tend to give the dealers a bit of notice before I need them, and then buy 200 at a time.

I am also thinking of going down that route Andy :D just buy your ammo in one go how many shots do we use one deer a year bet it's not 200 or anywhere near.

If you get certain rifles you can get a spare barrel in 30-06 making the old .308 redundant .. ie hence selling mine :lol:

It is difficult.

There is nothing that the 243 can do that the 25-06 cannot do. Except the 243 is more widely available and in theory is avilbale from those that make such things in a shorter action. And - up to its maximum of 105 grain bullet it does it with less powder and, given the same velocity, flatter trajectory than the 25-06.

But there is nothing, period, that the 25-06 does that the 270 Winchester doesn't do better. Bullet weight for bullet weight the 270 Winchester does it better. And in theory with less recoil as the bullet base is bigger.

So the argument is this. Don't make the comparison 243 vs 25-06 but 243 vs 270.

And if after that you reject the 270 then by all means get the 25-06 and just consider it as a "souped up" 243 with the ability to handle bullets that will easily give you that 100 grain minimum "deer legal" bullet weight where it is required.

But what your 25-06 won't ever be is 6.5mm and in Germany that is the legal minimum for wild boar. So think of it as I've said as a "souped up" 243 and maybe that'll help you make a decision.

One last thing as it isn't too popular you maybe will get a quality rifle at a bargain price in 25-06.

Hope it helps.

enfield - your post just goes to show what a diversity of opinion lies out there; a lot of my mates have a 25-06, so to say they're not that popular can't be true, at least in this part of the world (SW England). Availability of ammo doesn't seem to be problem - I have just this minute collected a new batch of 200 from the local dealers...

So to say they're not that popular can't be true...

A friend has one and swears by it for fallow deer.

His "armoury" goes 243, 25-06, 308 so for him it does work. My "armoury" is 270, another 270, 280 so I wouldn't have a place for it.

Here in the Midlands I've not seen too many and ammunition isn't that easy. But then again we are a little lacking in gun shops of that sort now!

i went into bates shop in stafford the other day and he says he doesnt stock 25.06 ammo but can have it in the next day,then again he says he only now stocks rifles in .223 and .243. sako 100gr sp £27 a box federals £28.

Back