Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit dodgy....

Bit dodgy....

A friend new to shooting recently bought a couple of brand new rifles from a local RFD and the RFD sold him rounds to go with the rifle (a few boxes) winchester at 27 a box.

No issue there (even though I had said just to get one box to see if the rifle likes it)

He asked me to help zero the rifle so I went out and he put a few rounds through in the usual order. I was picking up the empties as he ejected them and it wasn't until I took them out of my jacket pocket later i noticed the brass is pretty corroded and has some pretty severe dents and marks on the outer OD of the brass....if it was on the bottom rim where the material is pretty thick I wouldn't be so concerned but somne of the damage is right the way up the case....

Seems like these rounds must've been lying about in damp conditions for quite some time!

Attachment 41587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7490.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	41586Attachment 41588
    Last edited by gixer1; 05-05-2014 at 13:50.

I ALWAYS check out what's going in the chamber , BEFORE it gets chambered. Too late when you have a stuck case or something worse.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I wouldn't have had them as a gift let alone pay 27 per box.
    Not a good way to start feeding a brand new rifle and not a good way to treat a new customer.
    The dealer is cutting his own throat, especially if he is named here.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I ALWAYS check out what's going in the chamber , BEFORE it gets chambered. Too late when you have a stuck case or something worse.
    Totally agree, and my bad for not telling him to check them but when you see nice shiney new boxes the "assumption" (wrongly) is made.....

Will definatly be checking all the others!

regards,

Gixer

just clean off the crud with one of them green plastic pot cleaner pads and use them up ,also give your pals rifle chamber a deep clean to remove anything that may have been left there.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    just clean off the crud with one of them green plastic pot cleaner pads and use them up ,also give your pals rifle chamber a deep clean to remove anything that may have been left there.
    Paul, there are some pretty deep scores...probably not an issue but I wouldn't want to put them through my rifle so I think I'm going to advise he returns them...

Wouldn't be going through my rifle, and if they came from a dealer they would be getting thrown back at him!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Paul, there are some pretty deep scores...probably not an issue but I wouldn't want to put them through my rifle so I think I'm going to advise he returns them...

Quite so !
    New stock should not be like that and as such is `unfit for purpose`.
    If the dealer will not replace them report him to your local Trading Standards people and let them sort him out.

HWH.

If the outer box was OK and unopened then the dealer would not know that the brass was corroded. Probably a bit soon to flame the guy yet but I would definitely return the remaining ammo ASAP. If he will not take them back then flame away!!

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Totally agree, and my bad for not telling him to check them but when you see nice shiney new boxes the "assumption" (wrongly) is made.....

Will definatly be checking all the others!

regards,

Gixer
    Well never mind the BOXES , The contents also should be nice and shiny , if not then a closer inspection comes to mind like before Being loaded into mag or breech and fired
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 05-05-2014 at 12:52.