Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I commit the ultimate crime?

Did I commit the ultimate crime?

A couple of years back I was gifted a box of burgers, consisting of Roe meat, from a friend just up the road from me, I was astounded by the flavour & resolved to try & use the same butcher as he, when I needed to make burgers with venison, so today I butchered the little Roe buck from Greenfield, & horror of horrors I included the straps in the consignment of chopped up meat instead of the usual approach of, straps- spoon- gob! .... have any of you done the same? 28lbs should knock out a good few burgers.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Not at all, I must confess to chunk the haunches for stew more often than not. Did you see many out and about when you were there?

I suppose it would depend on how many Roe you shoot.
    If you shoot one Roe a month you might want to savour the best bits but if you`re shooting two a week you don`t have to be fussy.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I normally give the straps to the dog....he really likes them!

To me that is right up there with a chap I know who never used to skin the front end of a munty because 'there's no meat on it'.
    He only realised a few weeks ago when I gave him all the front end of one for a stew.

But as said it probably depends on how many you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Not at all, I must confess to chunk the haunches for stew more often than not. Did you see many out and about when you were there?
    Must have counted about thirty or so between two of us, one buck on the edge of a no shoot zone, mostly doe's though.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    A couple of years back I was gifted a box of burgers, consisting of Roe meat, from a friend just up the road from me, I was astounded by the flavour & resolved to try & use the same butcher as he, when I needed to make burgers with venison, so today I butchered the little Roe buck from Greenfield, & horror of horrors I included the straps in the consignment of chopped up meat instead of the usual approach of, straps- spoon- gob! .... have any of you done the same? 28lbs should knock out a good few burgers.

No not at all... Main thing is those burgers will be even more remembered during the BBQ months a head.
    depending upon the time of the year differentiates between how and what I want to do with each carcass.

The only clanger I've really done was buying a cheap mincer machine.

Best seasonings I find for burgers are the Schwartz grill mates come in various varieties. Not worth chopping herbs and spices.

Got to admit I often chuck everything in both burgers and sausages theses days, if I've got two or three to do the prime cuts go in the burgers and rest in the sausages.

I always use the whole beast. Why not I say.
    With the recent fashion of everyone becoming a "foodie", there's too many folk telling you how YOUR food should be used and cooked. If you like your saddle lightly pan fried then have it, if you want it in burgers, do it. That's my philosophy anyway.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I never used to bother with the meat between the ribs, until I was at a venison butchery demonstration in Cirencester and the chap said "with beef it's this bit of meat that Heston Blumenthal uses to make his burgers". I realised how much of the carcase I was wasting, simply because I couldn't be ar5ed to do the job properly.

Call me old fashioned but, having taken the decision to kill the deer, I feel some obligation to use as much of the meat as possible. Bear in mind, though, that most of the carcases go to the dealer, rather than the odd one I process myself, so don't read too much into my musings on morality.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!