Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fox shooting tips

fox shooting tips

im now getting into a bit of fox shooting, im looking for tips on how.

what calls to use? how often should i be calling? how loud or quite? how long should i be calling?

how often should i be waving the lamp about checking the field?

what colour are there eyes under different lamp colours?

basically anything that will help

I can't help with the lamping bit (I use NV and thermal imagers), but if you read some of my foxing stories in the 'Articles' section, you'll find out how I do it! Other than that, as far as I'm aware there are four foxing books to read:

'A Foxer's Year', by Patrick Hook (me)

'A Foxing Life' by Mike Powell.

'Foxing With Lamp and Rifle' & 'Going Foxing', both by Robert Bucknell (who wrote the forewords for both of the above)

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post
    im now getting into a bit of fox shooting, im looking for tips on how.

what calls to use? how often should i be calling? how loud or quite? how long should i be calling?

how often should i be waving the lamp about checking the field?

what colour are there eyes under different lamp colours?

basically anything that will help
    GP some good advice off Paddy my 2p's worth

1/ what calls ? this is a mine field and will change per season and locations . i have great success with mouse /rat squeaks various rabbit distresses this time of the yr cub calls , vixen & dog fox rally and mating calls.
    i dont think any foxes in my area have heard a raccoon and woodpecker fighting .....but if i play the call it does drag in foxes.

i use a mix of electronic and mouth blown calls, basically any squeaky type noise can drag in foxes especially now there are cubs about.

i start off calling quiet and build the noise up , don't call too often imaging the animal in distress isnt going to call continually for 30mins so on/off calling 30secs--1min calling 2-3min break but this will depend on your area.

2/ i use red led lights and look little and often foxy s got great ability of sneaking up on you .
    3/ the foxes eye shine will replicate the light being used ( its a mirror of sorts) so red eye for red light green for green light etc, with eye shine the fox will have the brightest eyes compared to other animals sheep, cattle rabbits (similar to deer ) they will be a far bit brighter.

tips
    watch wind direction , baiting areas can be very productive , in my area of wales( plenty of people running dogs) foxes can be lamp shy so once spotted on light they dont hold long so practice shooting quicker , check behind you when lamping as foxes do like to circle round the noise , get out there plenty and enjoy
    hope this helps ...neil
    Last edited by griffshrek; 06-05-2014 at 11:27.

Try to get out with someone who's been at it a while.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Try to get out with someone who's been at it a while.
    Very good advice.

I never keep the centre of the beam on the fox once it's been spotted and identified 100%.Just enough of the light to illuminate the target

I shoot 50% of my foxes in daylight. Time on the ground means success.

I do most of mine from a vehicle with a mate.He drives and operates the lamp.Younger eyes than me.The only time we use a caller for this is when we've already seen a Fox.Just to get it closer or in a safer position to take the shot.We don't put the light directly on the Fox.
    Baitings great if you're on foot.I put my bait into a sealed rubbish caddy to keep the flies off it when I'm ripening it.Tie a rope to the bait and trail it about bring all trails back to the point you want to shoot the Fox.

I fox very regularly on Hill ground

Hill and Urban or semi urban fox react differently..

Lamping is one of the most successful way of shooting/hunting foxes and probably the most preferred as you are in the warmth of a vehicle , however there maybe times you have to "sitout" or stalk on foot a lamp of NV.

Two key things to remember know the lay of the land, know where houses are etc and backdrops (like any hunting)

Also

Don't over lamp 2 to 3 times a week max and short bursts often worth while doing a "tour" then a stop and listen then doing another "tour".

All animals can get lamp shy so even investing in a red lens on your lamp can help allowing you to be able to lamp more.

never used NV stuff

Oh and always be sure of what your shooting , had dogs in the lamp many times and black sheep with red eyes is a big pain.

Happy hunting that Charlie

Some good sensible advice thus far. My findings are that Foxes are creatures of habit. Spend enough time on a piece of land and you will learn a) where they are and b) when they move about. This makes ambushing then from high seat or vehicles much easier.
    As to squeeking, I use a piece of expanded polystyrene with a good spit on it dragged down the car glass. With a bit of practice makes a good distress call that they cannot resist. Often good enough to get them in shotgun range.

The best bit of advice I can offer is.... If you use a lamp and you spot a pair of eyes, keep the lamp on it.
    I have a mate who always turns the lamp off when he gets eye shine and it winds me up.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox