roe sack help

wise man

Trying to find a roe sack . It was one I bought from the bds a few years back.it was green canvas with the only the pocket on the flap over.
Tried all the shops on line but no joy.
Any one help?

I'm in danger of people suspecting that I'm employed by Monarch, I've banged on about their roe and sika sacks so much but all I'll say is buy one. They're great.

My poppins sack has fallen to bits all the eyelets pulling out monarch look good !
norma

Ammend post 8/5/14. Just for the record

It is only the eyelets that have pulled out on the roe sack the rest is still serviceable

Last edited:
My poppins sack has fallen to bits all the eyelets pulling out monarch look good !
norma

Suprised to hear that mate, my first one lasted about twenty years! My second one is still as good as new other than a bit of fading after three or four years hard use. I imagine Poppins would be happy to repair it for you.

Guess northants munty's and roe are bigger than yours glyn :D
my mate has a jaeger sack which although older and identical has stronger brass eyelets
cheers

I use one made by Ogdens (Lancashire somewhere?). It is very well made and the straps are broad and good for carrying weight. I think it was reviewed in Sporting Rifle last year. It can be a little warm in hot weather thou, I then just use blue ikea bag which I carry in my jacket pocket.

norma 308 sorry to hear your unhappy with your sack but if you had contacted me when you drive past every day of the week leaving your job as the gardener at the public school.
at the bottom of the road from me .i am surprized your sack if loosing its eyelets as a part time game keeper it can not get a lot of use .i have made nearly 3000 sacks and never had a complaint from any one .these include the forrestry commission,till hill the deer society,and numerous proffessionals on this sight . i have exported them to norway,germany ireland even australia and not one conplaint
if you let me have a look at your sack i will gladly repair it.please pm me if you want it sorted
regards poppins

norma 308 sorry to hear your unhappy with your sack but if you had contacted me when you drive past every day of the week leaving your job as the gardener at the public school.
at the bottom of the road from me .i am surprized your sack if loosing its eyelets as a part time game keeper it can not get a lot of use .i have made nearly 3000 sacks and never had a complaint from any one .these include the forrestry commission,till hill the deer society,and numerous proffessionals on this sight . i have exported them to norway,germany ireland even australia and not one conplaint
if you let me have a look at your sack i will gladly repair it.please pm me if you want it sorted
regards poppins

well done Sylvia! Mines still going strong.

regards poppins
i fail to see what my job as head groundsman and p/ t gamekeeper Have to do with the condition of my roe sack I purchased from you ,you have no idea what where and how many deer I shoot in the course of a season indeed this is something I would most definitely keep to my close circle of stalking friends .
Sorry if my comment about the eyelets hit a nerve ,constructive criticism surely never hurt anyone and I would certainly contact pinnel and Bax chandlers in Northampton they have very solid eyelets which I will repair the damaged ones myself thankyou very much .
Once again I apologise for hitting a nerve I thought you were a bit thicker skinned !
Regards
doug mccarlie

Last edited:
A very strong endorsement for the Monarch. Very well designed and very sturdy.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have many friends who swear by blue IKEA bags...

i fail to see what my job as head groundsman and p/ t gamekeeper Have to do with the condition of my roe sack I purchased from you ,you have no idea what where and how many deer I shoot in the course of a season indeed this is something I would most definitely keep to my close circle of stalking friends .
Sorry if my comment about the eyelets hit a nerve ,constructive criticism surely never hurt anyone and I would certainly contact pinnel and Bax chandlers in Northampton they have very solid eyelets which I will repair the damaged ones myself thankyou very much .
Once again I apologise for hitting a nerve I thought you were a bit thicker skinned !
Regards
doug mccarlie

I think the point is Doug, if you had problems with your roe sack, Sylvia would have been more than happy to repair, especially given you are so local. I do not think it would be unreasonable to pop in and get Sylvia to fire up the machine for a couple of minutes. Instead you chose to tell all on the SD that you claim yours has lost a few eyelets, hardly constructive criticism:eek: More like slanderous accusations!!!

I know Sylvia and family very well. Their whole family would bend over backwards to help you if you need it. So your spiteful comments are uncalled for IMO.

As lots of others have confirmed, I have had a Poppins sack for many years, still as good and as strong as they day it came off the machine. So hats off to you Sylvia. :tiphat:

+1 for the Harkila
Richard

I have to say that I'm not very happy with mine, and I think it's down to the fabric that's used, which looks like Cordura. When it was new, there was a small tear in the front pocket, near the seam. I was going stalking the next day, so thought I could live with it and fix it later. It turns out that it's pretty much unstitchable and that tear had extended, so it's not an open pocket. Shame, as it was just the right size for my binoculars. This weekend, I cleaned the inside and put it away, and notices that the band around the top of the bag in the which the rope eyelets are had begun to tear also. I expect this to extend all around, rendering the bag useless. It's a shame, because it's a well-designed bag otherwise. I especially like the padded straps and rigid back. And the fact that it mostly looks like an ordinary rucksack, which is important on the train for me. But I can't have the bag falling apart and dropping a blood-spattered deer from the luggage rack.

I have a black, rectangular rifle-slip, also chosen for reasons of discretion, which is also falling apart at the weightbearing seams. Similarly, I can't have rifles dropping out impromptu. How hard is it to properly stitch something, damn it?

Ross
sorry if I offended you too ! After half a hour on the naughty step I've decided I'll never mention let alone criticise anyone or any companies products again I consider myself well and truely told off .
Once again sorry
doug

Ross
sorry if I offended you too ! After half a hour on the naughty step I've decided I'll never mention let alone criticise anyone or any companies products again I consider myself well and truely told off .
Once again sorry
doug

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to say that I'm not very happy with mine, and I think it's down to the fabric that's used, which looks like Cordura. When it was new, there was a small tear in the front pocket, near the seam. I was going stalking the next day, so thought I could live with it and fix it later. It turns out that it's pretty much unstitchable and that tear had extended, so it's not an open pocket. Shame, as it was just the right size for my binoculars. This weekend, I cleaned the inside and put it away, and notices that the band around the top of the bag in the which the rope eyelets are had begun to tear also. I expect this to extend all around, rendering the bag useless. It's a shame, because it's a well-designed bag otherwise. I especially like the padded straps and rigid back. And the fact that it mostly looks like an ordinary rucksack, which is important on the train for me. But I can't have the bag falling apart and dropping a blood-spattered deer from the luggage rack.

I have a black, rectangular rifle-slip, also chosen for reasons of discretion, which is also falling apart at the weightbearing seams. Similarly, I can't have rifles dropping out impromptu. How hard is it to properly stitch something, damn it?

My harkila started to tear where the strap go's into the main body of the sack at the base. I tried stitching it but was never confident it would hold as like pine martin says its constructed from some sort of cordura that seems to rip when stitched. Bought a monarch as previously stated in an earlier post and have never had any problems. Would recommend one to anyone.

I'm in danger of people suspecting that I'm employed by Monarch, I've banged on about their roe and sika sacks so much but all I'll say is buy one. They're great.

+1 on the Monarchs. Carries two large roe with ease with ample room for gear. Wide low-profile straps, very comfortable to wear on the shoulder and waist.

Back