Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18650 3.7v charge question

18650 3.7v charge question

I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to how long do these batteries hold their charge, provided they are not used, of course. I need them for a torch I bought and as it is an emergency torch I plan keeping in the car I want to know it will work when I need it to... So basically I am after some figures as to when to recharge them when they have been sitting in their plastic box unused, really...

thanks in advance!

Mine stay charge for weeks but i top them up when i go out , never leave them discharged it shags them i got my 1200 from a hobby shop for 4 each and the charger from maplins

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    Mine stay charge for weeks but i top them up when i go out , never leave them discharged it shags them i got my 1200 from a hobby shop for 4 each and the charger from maplins
    Thanks. Well, I am hoping to establish a recharge cycle and I am trying to determine how long it can safely be without jeopardizing the effectiveness of the battery or risking that they will be flat when I need to use them...

It is a battery(LiPo) that lends itself to heavy use and recharge, they can be stored at 70% charge but you need to maintain the voltages. Drop the voltage below 20% and you may as well bin them.

You can get battery chargers that maintain the batteries then just take them when you need them at 100% charge

one thing i will say is buy good named batts cheap on ebay can also ruin you light or nv. best thing is to use one leave it on then see what charge rate and discharge is, tracer are the best i found.

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    It is a battery(LiPo) that lends itself to heavy use and recharge, they can be stored at 70% charge but you need to maintain the voltages. Drop the voltage below 20% and you may as well bin them.

You can get battery chargers that maintain the batteries then just take them when you need them at 100% charge
    Can you please be more specific? How does the voltage drop? the batteries I bought came with a charger, but keeping them on the charger is not an option as I plan to have the batteries and torch in the car for when I need them, hence my issue with having to keep them with me but may not get used for a while....

I have two 18650 eagletac 3400 batteries that I use in my Olight M22 Warrior.
    They hold their charge for weeks. . . I just give them a little top up every now and again before I use them.

Thanks. That is reassuring!

If it just for emergency use can you not run the torch on a pair of lithium non-rechargable CR123's

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    If it just for emergency use can you not run the torch on a pair of lithium non-rechargable CR123's

Neil.
    Are these the same size/voltage etc with the 18650? If so, it would be great!