Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22-250, .243 and .308 calibre review - range test

22-250, .243 and .308 calibre review - range test

we took 3 Blaser R93 rifles to the range yesterday to review homeloads and rifle performance at 100, 200 and 300 yards

didnt save targets, but the results were as follows

rifles.

r93 22-250, 4- 16 x 50 tds 4, t8 mod
    r93 .243, 8x56 4a, t4 mod
    r93 .308, 8x56 4a-n, t4 mod.

loads (all at maximum)

22-250 55gn ballistic tip 41 gn h380 - 3600 fps
    .243 55gn ballistic tip 44.5gn h4895 - 3900 fps
    .308 110 gn spire point 49gn h4895 - 3120 fps

grouping - all rifles/loads easily capable of sub MOA - the 22-250 shot 1 holers at 100 yards, best group of the test was with the .308 at 300 yards (sub 1" )

drop at 100, 200 and 300 yards

22-250 = 1.5", -1",-6"
    .243 = 1", -1", -4"
    .308 = 1", -1", -8"

wind drift at 100, 200 and 300 yards

22-250 = 0", 2",6"
    .243 = 0", 2",6"
    .308 = 0", 2",6"

conclusions

r93's are great!

seriously...

i always thought the 22-250 was faster flatter than the .243, looking at these results and reviewing nosler and hodgdon data it looks like i was wrong. the .243 is faster, and flatter. the 22-250 rifle and load (and shooter ) seemed to be the most accurate on the day, unit i pulled that group out of the bag with waynes old .308 (i put that down to the 4a-n reticle which is great at zeroing and hunting alike) the 22-250 pilot was also cheating by shooting on 16 power

as for effect on live targets, in the last couple of days the 22-250 has shot munty and fox (clean exit on munty - no exit on fox), the .243 has shot fox and fallow (fox looked like it had stepped on landmine and fallow had a very sore throat) and the .308 has shot roe (no meat wasted whatsoever )

so which is the best........

i think i'll take the r93 every time.

I'll have to agree that they are remarkable but they are not for me. I did participate in a little test at Bisley's short Siberia with a pair of R93's in .308. Jack from Andersons (F. A. Anderson of East Grinstead a friend worked there) brought the rifles with one mount and a very nice scope and a load of Federal ammo tot ehr ange and we sighted one in at 200 yards and yes it was grouping very well he then took the mount and scope off an put it on the second rifle and we tried that. It shot tight groups as well and the POI was only about 1" off from the first rifle.

He also brought a long a used Steyr SSG in 7x64 and thst shot very well and in fact I nearly went for that one but just could not get over the plastic stock. Now the highlight of that day was playing with a Chapuis Dbl SBS he brought along in 8x57R with scope and mount and a few boxes of RWS ammunition and if I could have afforded it I would have brought that. Sadly I didn't and it's something I have regretted ever since but it was about 5500 with scope and mount.

I have never seen a Blaser R93 that didn't shoot well as for which one is best

good shooting chaps

about the 243 22 250 thing i was toying with the idea of getting a 2nd 243 added to my ticket rationale being

1) i could keep one zeroed for 100g spbt for deer with a low mag fixed power scope and one for 55g frangable stuff for charlie witha higher power finer reticule .
    2) keep reloading costs down same brass dies etc.

3)if i had a malfunction with my deer rifle i could rezero fox gun for stalking ammo and be roe legal.

i wonder if feo would buy this, i hear they dont like multiples of same caliber on same ticket.

gary, do you work for blaser?

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans

no

http://www.sevenps.co.uk/

Pete,

As long as you approach it in the right mindset, Im sure youll get a second .243

its not what they like you to have, its what you have good reason to possess, and as my test demonstrates, the 22-250 is an inferior round why would they want you to have an inferior round?

And shooting foxes with 55gn ballistic tips is good reason in my book, even if it is a bit messy at times!

Alternatively get a .243 R93 and 2 scopes/mounts they swap spot on every time.

Alternatively get a .243 R93 and 2 scopes/mounts they swap spot on every time.[/quote]

my rifles cost on average 300 each (second hand cz601s) i could strtch to more but its a game of diminishing returns tbh.
    target shootings one thing but shooting fox and deer is less about the capabilities of the rifle and more about the shooter i feel. Target aquasition, choosing the right time to pull the trigger reading the behavior and anticipating when it is likely to present the best shot etc. not to mention keeping your cool. i do appreciate a good shoota but it would be wasted on me as i tend to abuse my stuff a bit

pete

Bucksden, hope this is a good general indication.

I have just bought a Blaser and am waiting for 22/250 and 30/06 barrels to turn up whenever Blaser and the new UK agent get their **** together.

Bucksden,

You can use only one scope for 2 barrels/calibres or one calibre/two bullets etc.

A quality scope that allows you to set the zero mark on the turret is what you need. That is always the base mark for bullet one. You then zero for bullet two and note the offsets.

You can then revert to zero for bullet one and dial in the previously noted offset for bullet two.

I do this on my 9.3 x 62 with my son. We both therefore have the rifle zeroed.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans
    good shooting chaps

about the 243 22 250 thing i was toying with the idea of getting a 2nd 243 added to my ticket rationale being

1) i could keep one zeroed for 100g spbt for deer with a low mag fixed power scope and one for 55g frangable stuff for charlie witha higher power finer reticule .
    2) keep reloading costs down same brass dies etc.

3)if i had a malfunction with my deer rifle i could rezero fox gun for stalking ammo and be roe legal.

i wonder if feo would buy this, i hear they dont like multiples of same caliber on same ticket.

Having more than one rifle in the same calibre and chambering should not be any problem. It's only in their tiny little minds and not in the rules.

If I read correctly and you using a BRNO/CZ601 then you can just use two scopes zeroed for you respective rounds as with good rings they return to zero. I found that the .308 ZKK601 that I have with Hilver rings does. I have one of the Zeiss Jena ZF4/N scopes in it's dedicated mount that fits it and until recently had a 6x42 set up in the Hilver rings for it.

Of course a second rifle is always nice Until recently I had two 6.5x55's, I sold one to make room for the 25-06 and I sold an old Martini Enfield .303 to make room for a 2nd .243. Oh I also have more than one .270 on my ticket and Licolnshire ain't the most helpful of Firearms Licensing Departments .

Quote Originally Posted by smullery
    Bucksden,

You can use only one scope for 2 barrels/calibres or one calibre/two bullets etc.

A quality scope that allows you to set the zero mark on the turret is what you need. That is always the base mark for bullet one. You then zero for bullet two and note the offsets.

You can then revert to zero for bullet one and dial in the previously noted offset for bullet two.

I do this on my 9.3 x 62 with my son. We both therefore have the rifle zeroed.

Stan
    in theory yes - but the 22-250 zero was 50 clicks different in windage from the 30-06 that the scope was borrowed from - would you trust 50 clicks and go out hunting (even on a swarovski)???