Gemsbuck mount after 12 years of being in store, by sikamalc

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Well my last African Safari in anger with a rifle was 2002, during which I shot trophy Gemsbuck, Grey Duiker, Black Wildebeest, Cape Bushbuck, Springbuck Cape and Kalahari, Steinbuck.

Having not had time and with the problem of being engaged in moving home I have finally set up a new workshop and started to mount some of my trophies to add with those I already have. So here it is a full shoulder mount, slightly off set of my male Gemsbuck ( also known as the desert warrior)

DSC_1990.jpgDSC_1979.jpgDSC_1980.jpg

So for anyone who is contemplating Africa or anywhere abroad, you do not have to worry about setting up your trophies all at once. This cape was kept under dry and dark conditions and 12 years on I have mounted it as an off set shoulder mount.

Hope you like it.

When you say "kept under dry and dark conditions" what did you do with it? Was it salted then frozen? Interested to know what is recommended if like in this case it may be years before finally being done.....

When you say "kept under dry and dark conditions" what did you do with it? Was it salted then frozen? Interested to know what is recommended if like in this case it may be years before finally being done.....

No it was salted and dipped as per all trophies in Africa. What you must not do is get it wet or damp, otherwise it will start to rehydrate and slippage may occur. I kept all of them in a large cardboard box in a dry store room and in the box with some moth repellent. I know many don't have the facilities to keep skins at home, but if you have a spare room keeping them in such facilities will mean you can mount them years ahead.

Freezing will not do them any good after all those years as it will burn them, and then they will be a problem to rehydrate.

No it was salted and dipped as per all trophies in Africa. What you must not do is get it wet or damp, otherwise it will start to rehydrate and slippage may occur. I kept all of them in a large cardboard box in a dry store room and in the box with some moth repellent. I know many don't have the facilities to keep skins at home, but if you have a spare room keeping them in such facilities will mean you can mount them years ahead.

Freezing will not do them any good after all those years as it will burn them, and then they will be a problem to rehydrate.

Thanks Malc, worth knowing!

What is the maximum time in the freezer Malcolm I have this years cwd and munty I want doing when I've taken a summer coated roe buck to go with them .
cheers
norma

What is the maximum time in the freezer Malcolm I have this years cwd and munty I want doing when I've taken a summer coated roe buck to go with them .
cheers
norma[/QUOTET

Your CWD and Munti won't wait for 12 years, till you get a summer Roe Buck!! Wf1

cheers
norma[/QUOTET

Your CWD and Munti won't wait for 12 years, till you get a summer Roe Buck!! Wf1
I've my eye on a couple of nice bucks mate its just finding the time what with grass and a part time shoot !

cheers
norma

Norma,

You can keep freshly skinned or un skinned heads in the freezer for about a year, providing you wrap them up well to stop the getting freezer burnt. This often happens to the ears and nose on the animal. Once this has occurred it makes it difficult to skin and can cause issues for the taxidermist. So make sure any potential trophy is well wrapped up and not juts stuffed in a bag and thrown in the freezer.

Any skinned heads can be thinned, salted and dried and stored, providing you have the facilities to do so. You must also make sure you turn the ears inside out and split the lips before carrying this out, otherwise you will get hair slip.

Regards

Sikamalc

Back