Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: well done Tesco's!

well done Tesco's!

Wow

Seems like Tescos have started a storm.

It appears that all of their chickens and Newzealand lamb is halal.
    They have basically been pumping it out in supermarkets without labelling it as such.
    Their excuse was that it would add too many labels to the packaging!

Now I actually have nothing against someone of any religion wanting meat to be killed by whatever means they wish.
    I do however take issue to large supermarkets hiding the fact it is halal because they know perfectly well the average british punter isn't going to buy it!

Morrisons and co-op have said there chicken and NZ lamb is not halal and any meet they do sell that is halal is clearly labelled.

Im just glad I don't have to buy much meat from a supermarket.

To be honest if they cant even tell you what animal it is I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they cant tell you how it was killed.

I'm a Kiwi and i was under the impression that all of our beef and lamb was halal. I did a quick Google and found this in the beef and lamb NZ web site:

Although a significant proportion of sheep and beef is slaughtered according to halal requirements, only a much smaller percentage is actually halal-certified and labeled. Halal audit, certification and labeling incur extra costs, so it is only done at the request of a customer or when it is a market access requirement overseas.
    In the case of New Zealand supermarkets, the beef and lamb may be from animals that have been slaughtered in accordance with halal requirements - but that product is subsequently ‘contaminated’ by the addition of non-halal ingredients or proximity to non-halal goods such as pork. It therefore becomes re-designated as non-halal and cannot be labelled as halal in supermarkets.

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/index.pl?page=faq&m=458#9

Cheers,
    Hayden

I guess small economies like NZ that are big meat exporters want to keep their customer base as broad as possible, so things are done to the standards of those most likely to object to, and so to reject, anything they produce.

What remains to be seen is whether, now the cat is out of the bag, this leads to a significant drop in sales in those part of the world whose humanitarian scruples are more influential than any religious prohibition.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    Wow

Seems like Tescos have started a storm.

It appears that all of their chickens and Newzealand lamb is halal.
    They have basically been pumping it out in supermarkets without labelling it as such.
    Their excuse was that it would add too many labels to the packaging!

Now I actually have nothing against someone of any religion wanting meat to be killed by whatever means they wish.
    I do however take issue to large supermarkets hiding the fact it is halal because they know perfectly well the average british punter isn't going to buy it!

Morrisons and co-op have said there chicken and NZ lamb is not halal and any meet they do sell that is halal is clearly labelled.

Im just glad I don't have to buy much meat from a supermarket.

To be honest if they cant even tell you what animal it is I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they cant tell you how it was killed.
    i am a poultry farm manager (Broilers) and the birds on my farm supply a halal factory , i have been to the plant and see my own birds down the line and i can not see a problem with the way they are slaughtered , they are stunned and then have their throat cut (thus is done mechanicly not by hand).

Now the company i grow for does not supply tesco but somthing i will tell you is that the farms and the factorys that do supply tesco, are so heavily audited buy tesco them selves and independant auditors!

Tesco can not afford to put a foot wrong when it comes to bird welfare, and if a supplier Halal or not gets caught putting 1 single foot wrong their contract is cancelled full stop possibly resulting in liquidation we are talking £ 10's of millions per year !

The crux of it is If there was a problem with the way halal birds are being slaughtered tesco would have cancelled the contract simple as that!

Poultry is big money business no company , farm or factory who supply a supermarket can afford to mess up.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Ignorance and zenaphobia , halal slaughter can be as humane as any other form of slaughter, the fact is most people are far removed from the original product, as kids we had home kill, no one new the words halal, but its what happened,

Hmmmm

I think that revelation might attract some flack.

It always makes me chuckle to think of all the EDL members stopping for a kebab on their way home from their meetings/protests/whatever they do. I hate the subject, I wouldn't mind if it was a genuine concern for animal welfare but it rarely is.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Just for information. All halal beef and lamb slaughtered in New Zealand is stunned prior to slaughter.

lets be honest, the end consumer for the most is only interested in the price and quality of the product they purchase.

Surely the scandal here is that we continue to import into this country farm produce that can and should be produced within the UK