Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Chronograph

  1. #1

    Chronograph

    I'm looking to buy a chronograph that can be used outdoors and that isn't affected by poor lighting conditions. I read about the magnetospeed V3. This seems like it will do the job.

    Does anyone have experience with this chronograph? Are there any other chronographs that I should consider?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Another possibility is the Steinert SuperChrono - this can be purchased here direct from the manufacturer, mine came from Norway in under a week.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I'm looking to buy a chronograph that can be used outdoors and that isn't affected by poor lighting conditions. I read about the magnetospeed V3. This seems like it will do the job.

    Does anyone have experience with this chronograph? Are there any other chronographs that I should consider?

    Thanks in advance
    Yes... have one (well a v2 anyway) Awesome piece of kit that is actually real world useable.. I can have it rigged up on my barrel in 30 seconds and be measuring shots...., no faff, no mess..

    I used to have a Chrony but never used it due to the faff and time of setting it up!

    Magnetospeed... expensive but then most game-changers are!!!

    With reference to the other unit mentioned... looks clever but still has to sit on a tripod downrange and you have to get up and look at it if you want data for each shot... Plus, you cant use it with subsonic rounds. With Magnetospeed, everything is right there, in front of you... after initial set up (when first getting it) it is no more hassle than screwing a mod on and you are good to go!
    Last edited by Vipa; 07-05-2014 at 10:13.

  4. #4
    Thanks chaps.

    I was more inclined to go for the MagnetoSpeed to start with, but just wanted to get some real world feedback and reassurance.

    Much appreciated. It can go on the birthday wish list now!

  5. #5
    I was at Minsterley with my ProChronograph today and began to think about the practicalities.

    1. I do not need to know the statisical analysis of my shot string.

    2. I do need to know that my accurate load is deer legal.

    3. So, if I select my load on the basis of precision all I have to do is measure one extra shot.

    4. My ProChronograph is for sale.

    Why? It is a superb tool that I am using to 10% of its capability and takes just a little too long to set up and is inconvenient to monitor.

    So, a Magnetospeed is on the cards.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    I was at Minsterley with my ProChronograph today and began to think about the practicalities.

    1. I do not need to know the statisical analysis of my shot string.

    2. I do need to know that my accurate load is deer legal.

    3. So, if I select my load on the basis of precision all I have to do is measure one extra shot.

    4. My ProChronograph is for sale.

    Why? It is a superb tool that I am using to 10% of its capability and takes just a little too long to set up and is inconvenient to monitor.

    So, a Magnetospeed is on the cards.

    I'm not sure agree with your logic to be honest. I use the chrono to give me a view on the quality of my reloading work as well as an average velocity for working out a drop chart.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gnetoSpeed.jpg

    Regards

    JCS

  7. #7
    I have the V3 and as the others have said it's a superb piece of kit.

  8. #8
    JCS said "I'm not sure agree with your logic to be honest. I use the chrono to give me a view on the quality of my reloading work as well as an average velocity for working out a drop chart."

    For me, the quality of my reloading is measured by the precision and consistency of my results.

    My drop chart is provided by any number of online calculators, but I only require data up to 300 yards.

    I will not be strapping a Magnetospeed to my rifle for all test shots as I cannot quantify its effect on barrel harmonics / my group, but I will happily strap it on for one or two shots to confirm muzzle energy of my selected load.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    ....I will not be strapping a Magnetospeed to my rifle for all test shots as I cannot quantify its effect on barrel harmonics / my group, but I will happily strap it on for one or two shots to confirm muzzle energy of my selected load.
    Why don't you just do a test? 5 shots chrono on, then five shots chrono off. I do my load development and when I've reached the stage the load is performing, I run it over the chrono. In an ideal world I would chrono every shot I fire.

    Regards JCS

  10. #10
    SD Regular Mr. Gain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Why don't you just do a test? 5 shots chrono on, then five shots chrono off. I do my load development and when I've reached the stage the load is performing, I run it over the chrono. In an ideal world I would chrono every shot I fire.
    +1. I did this when I got my V2, comparing groups with the chrono fitted and not fitted, and found no change in group size or MPI.

    I even fit the chrono when varminting at long range so that I can check velocity with each shot. Then if a round strikes high/low I can confirm/discount a change in MV as a factor, as well as logging velocities alongside other info, including air temperature. The better your DOPE is, the higher the chance of a first-round hit is.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 08-05-2014 at 06:30.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Chronograph
    By 270Buck in forum Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 19:38
  2. What's the best chronograph
    By chrisc in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21-01-2013, 08:52
  3. Wanted Chronograph
    By chrisc in forum Reloading
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 19:18
  4. Wanted chronograph
    By tolley in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-09-2012, 14:10
  5. Which Chronograph
    By KEITHKILVO1 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 19:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •