Chronograph

Jax

I'm looking to buy a chronograph that can be used outdoors and that isn't affected by poor lighting conditions. I read about the magnetospeed V3. This seems like it will do the job.

Does anyone have experience with this chronograph? Are there any other chronographs that I should consider?

Thanks in advance

I'm looking to buy a chronograph that can be used outdoors and that isn't affected by poor lighting conditions. I read about the magnetospeed V3. This seems like it will do the job.

Does anyone have experience with this chronograph? Are there any other chronographs that I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Yes... have one (well a v2 anyway) Awesome piece of kit that is actually real world useable.. I can have it rigged up on my barrel in 30 seconds and be measuring shots...., no faff, no mess..

I used to have a Chrony but never used it due to the faff and time of setting it up!

Magnetospeed... expensive but then most game-changers are!!!

With reference to the other unit mentioned... looks clever but still has to sit on a tripod downrange and you have to get up and look at it if you want data for each shot... Plus, you cant use it with subsonic rounds. With Magnetospeed, everything is right there, in front of you... after initial set up (when first getting it) it is no more hassle than screwing a mod on and you are good to go!

Last edited:
Thanks chaps.

I was more inclined to go for the MagnetoSpeed to start with, but just wanted to get some real world feedback and reassurance.

Much appreciated. It can go on the birthday wish list now!

I was at Minsterley with my ProChronograph today and began to think about the practicalities.

1. I do not need to know the statisical analysis of my shot string.

2. I do need to know that my accurate load is deer legal.

3. So, if I select my load on the basis of precision all I have to do is measure one extra shot.

4. My ProChronograph is for sale.

Why? It is a superb tool that I am using to 10% of its capability and takes just a little too long to set up and is inconvenient to monitor.

So, a Magnetospeed is on the cards.

I was at Minsterley with my ProChronograph today and began to think about the practicalities.

1. I do not need to know the statisical analysis of my shot string.

2. I do need to know that my accurate load is deer legal.

3. So, if I select my load on the basis of precision all I have to do is measure one extra shot.

4. My ProChronograph is for sale.

Why? It is a superb tool that I am using to 10% of its capability and takes just a little too long to set up and is inconvenient to monitor.

So, a Magnetospeed is on the cards.

I'm not sure agree with your logic to be honest. I use the chrono to give me a view on the quality of my reloading work as well as an average velocity for working out a drop chart.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/Magnetospeed/GAT%20Rifles%20260%20Rem%20%2B%20MagnetoSpeed.jpg

Regards

JCS

JCS said "I'm not sure agree with your logic to be honest. I use the chrono to give me a view on the quality of my reloading work as well as an average velocity for working out a drop chart."

For me, the quality of my reloading is measured by the precision and consistency of my results.

My drop chart is provided by any number of online calculators, but I only require data up to 300 yards.

I will not be strapping a Magnetospeed to my rifle for all test shots as I cannot quantify its effect on barrel harmonics / my group, but I will happily strap it on for one or two shots to confirm muzzle energy of my selected load.

....I will not be strapping a Magnetospeed to my rifle for all test shots as I cannot quantify its effect on barrel harmonics / my group, but I will happily strap it on for one or two shots to confirm muzzle energy of my selected load.

Why don't you just do a test? 5 shots chrono on, then five shots chrono off. I do my load development and when I've reached the stage the load is performing, I run it over the chrono. In an ideal world I would chrono every shot I fire.

Regards JCS

Why don't you just do a test? 5 shots chrono on, then five shots chrono off. I do my load development and when I've reached the stage the load is performing, I run it over the chrono. In an ideal world I would chrono every shot I fire.

+1. I did this when I got my V2, comparing groups with the chrono fitted and not fitted, and found no change in group size or MPI.

I even fit the chrono when varminting at long range so that I can check velocity with each shot. Then if a round strikes high/low I can confirm/discount a change in MV as a factor, as well as logging velocities alongside other info, including air temperature. The better your DOPE is, the higher the chance of a first-round hit is.

Last edited:
+1. I did this when I got my V2, comparing groups with the chrono fitted and not fitted, and found no change in group size or MPI.

I even fit the chrono when varminting at long range so that I can check velocity with each shot. Then if a round strikes high/low I can confirm/discount a change in MV as a factor, as well as logging velocities alongside other info, including air temperature. The better your DOPE is, the higher the chance of a first-round hit is.

Mr Gain. I'm very impressed, that's an excellent approach. The one thing I've noted with my 260 Rem is that my first cold clean bore shot is typically slower than the rest.

Thanks

JCS

Mr Gain. I'm very impressed, that's an excellent approach. The one thing I've noted with my 260 Rem is that my first cold clean bore shot is typically slower than the rest.

Thanks to you. For some inexplicable reason it hadn't occurred to me to look out for consistent differences between the first cold/clean bore shot and subsequent ones. But it's certainly something I'll check next time.

TBH, my main problem is remembering to keep notes as our target indication improves and our engagement speed increases in the course of a session. Building reliable note-taking into a slick sequence of spotting, calling, adjusting, and putting the round on the target before it disappears or the range/angle changes, has somehow eluded us so far! (Jackdaws are proper little rascals to hit at 400m and beyond... always moving and with a sixth sense for sear pressure!)

I own both the magnospeed and the Steinert Superchrono. There's no denying the speed by which the magno can be set but remember that it is only really good for recording at the muzzle. The Steiner is a completely different system. It records the bullets path accousticly and can be set up at any point along the bullets path. It also has a huge detection envelope. It is completely unaffected by environmental conditions like poor light, moisture, rain, snow, fog, etc.

For me, the Steinert is a fact superior system. I regularly position it out to 200 - 600 yds which dramatically improves the accuracy of your data. Which is the primary reason for owning one. Any doping chart you may use will be improved dramatically.

There's a few YouTube videos showing its usage but feel free to pop out over for a trial if you are nearby.

I own both the magnospeed and the Steinert Superchrono. There's no denying the speed by which the magno can be set but remember that it is only really good for recording at the muzzle. The Steiner is a completely different system. It records the bullets path accousticly and can be set up at any point along the bullets path. It also has a huge detection envelope. It is completely unaffected by environmental conditions like poor light, moisture, rain, snow, fog, etc.

For me, the Steinert is a fact superior system. I regularly position it out to 200 - 600 yds which dramatically improves the accuracy of your data. Which is the primary reason for owning one. Any doping chart you may use will be improved dramatically.

There's a few YouTube videos showing its usage but feel free to pop out over for a trial if you are nearby.

Hear Hear - the Steinert SuperChrono is a massively versatile device allowing the user to physically measure velocity at any range, thus giving actual measurements at any desired range rather than estimated figures.

Some great info and points there. Most of my load testing is done at Bisley, so I'm guessing another plus of the magnetospeed is that I could use it there as I wouldn't have to setup anything down range?

??? Really can't see the point of deliberately limiting yourself by buying a chrony that can only measure the velocity at the muzzle.

I've even used the Steinert indoors, on a 25yd range.

Really can't see the point of [...] buying a chrony that can only measure the velocity at the muzzle.
An odd statement from someone who owns a Magnetospeed - yes, it can only measure MV, but it does so, as you yourself say:
completely unaffected by environmental conditions like poor light, moisture, rain, snow, fog, etc
...plus it remains permanently aligned with the barrel, effectively giving it
a huge detection envelope.
I love the idea of the Steinert, and I'm very happy to have heard about it and to have heard it so warmly recommended on this thread, but it seems to me that by rubbishing anything else you're throwing out more baby than bathwater.

Gain,

I suggest you take the time to actually read my original post. The benefits to which you've quoted are benefits of the Steinert; not the Magno.

Like the thread creator, I sought a chrony but lacked the knowledge to make a valued decision. I bought the Magno first but soon realized my mistake when seeing the Steinert in operation. I posted my replies to the original question in the belief I could save someone the wasted expense.

I suggest you take the time to actually read my original post. The benefits to which you've quoted are benefits of the Steinert; not the Magno.

Steady, Scotsgun. I did read your post carefully, which is why I was able to quote from it.

For the sake of clarification: the benefits I quoted from your post are ALSO those of the Magno.

What puzzled me then -and even more so now- is why you can't see this.

Last edited:
Gain, you're nuts. Against my better judgement:

So how exactly does the Magno benefit from 'a huge detection envelope,' when it only records metallurgical objects passing directly through the first few inches of space directly beyond the muzzle?

2nd thoughts, don't bother. Ur obviously the type who's still trying to convince your wife that your pinkie is really 6 inches long. Last post.

Back