Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gralloch and Burying

Gralloch and Burying

Hi
    How many guys and gals bury the green offal etc after completing a field gralloch.Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years but we used to make sure everything was open with a knife so the carrion would finish it off. Never had a problem before with this method.
    Interested to find out who carries shovels etc to bury it.
    Thanks
    Norm
    Last edited by Flyer4u0; 07-05-2014 at 11:45. Reason: Forgot to mention gals as well.

You must bury it at least 1m underground, or at least when you are doing DSC1 that is the box you tick, to do this I take a mini digger with me as it would take too long to dig a hole 1m deep

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Yes, I'm from the "bury" camp. I recall the first time I saw someone cut the legs and head off and leave those in the woods as well

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Hi
    How many guys and gals bury the green offal etc after completing a field gralloch.Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years but we used to make sure everything was open with a knife so the carrion would finish it off. Never had a problem before with this method.
    Interested to find out who carries shovels etc to bury it.
    Thanks
    Norm
    Still do so on the open hill, amazing how quickly the carrion eaters clean it up, just need to be sensible keep it clear of water courses, and hopefully where it will not cause offence to the general public.

Most of my deer are Munties or Roe. I take the gralloch excluding the gut bag back as You can use most of it

phil

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Yes, I'm from the "bury" camp. I recall the first time I saw someone cut the legs and head off and leave those in the woods as well

willie_gunn
    Willie Gunn - would you never do that with the head and lower legs then? Just asking out of interest you understand - I'm admitting nothing...

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Ov View Post
    Willie Gunn - would you never do that with the head and lower legs then? Just asking out of interest you understand - I'm admitting nothing...
    Tom

No, I always do the head and legs back at the larder. That's just what I've been taught.

A lot of the ground I stalk on has heavily used public footpaths, so we try to keep as "low profile" as possible. Having been out elsewhere and come across the full gralloch on a footpath, I am perhaps somewhat prejudiced in my view on this.

The gralloch doesn't hang around long, whereas heads and legs are going to take quite a lot longer to disappear. In my mind, having Fido or Fenton coming trotting back to mummy and daddy with a roe leg between his teeth probably isn't going to do much for the general public's perception of stalking Doubtless others will say different.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

That's the same as I used to do everything left behind (discreetly) and head & legs off back at the larder. As previously said for the DSC1 I guess I will have to bring along a mechanical digger to bury it 1metre underground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think the deer might hear me coming in a JCB and then problem solved, nothing to bury.

On a serious note I leave the green offal as you say cut open with knife somewhere discreet, everything else is left in until back at the larder i.e minimum cutting in the field to reduce chances of contamination. At least that is the way I was shown.

I keep an entrenching tool with my full gralloch kit -for use where I can get the vehicle close to the kill site- and use it to bury the green offal (but I certainly don't dig a 1-metre deep pit for it, seeing the purpose as being more to put it out of sight than out of reach. I've yet to see a badger sett, for instance, that's less than 1m deep). The head and lower legs come back with me since, as W-G says, they hang around for a while and are all too easily retrieved by errant canines.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay