Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaser/sauer or custom build??

Blaser/sauer or custom build??

Hi guys

been looking at blasers and sauers and going to treat myself but now just to make the decision even harder I've now had the suggestion of a custom build thrown in!! What's your views on custom build vs top end factory rifles? I'm just going to be using it mainly for deer stalking with a little bit of target practice?? What type of costs are involved with a custom build? Thanks in advance for any info

cheers bb

Custom vs Top end factory?.... Custom every time. Rifle built to your exact spec. Cost? depends on which components used and who builds it for you. Rough guide 3 - 6.5k. Down side of a custom rifle can be the looooooong wait.

Regards

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Hi guys

been looking at blasers and sauers and going to treat myself but now just to make the decision even harder I've now had the suggestion of a custom build thrown in!! What's your views on custom build vs top end factory rifles? I'm just going to be using it mainly for deer stalking with a little bit of target practice?? What type of costs are involved with a custom build? Thanks in advance for any info

cheers bb
    A Blaser will retain some value. I'm not a fan of Sauer. A custom build is your choice and no-one else will make the same choices, so they are tricky to resell. If I was starting again, I would find it hard to go past a Blaser.

Regards

JCS

my humble opinion...wouldn't want a sauer, wouldn't touch anything blaser with a 1000yard pole either tbh.

custom based on mauser action, nice walnut stock, ebony tip and steel grip cap. rust blued 22-24" barrelled action, nice silvers pad and fixed or swing bottom metal. I'd suggest a full length glass bedding to keep it beautiful, but more stable than a synthetic stock.

I have thought about getting a custom built rifle but for the amount and type of stalking that I do, Blaser works very well for me. As the gun is completely modular, you can buy different stocks, say synthetic for the hill and driven hunting and a nice wooden stock for the high seat. Spare barrels in every major calibre can be bought with and in three different profiles, from sporter to semi weight to heavy profile match barrels. I started with a Professional in 300WM and have now amassed a collection of 4 staocks, 10 barrels (222 to 375H&H) and 4 bolts. My only complaint is that my 243 barrel does not like 100 grain bullets. Accuracy is incredible and my wife can clover leaf with the 300WM (muzzle brake). The bolt is simple to operate and silent operating requires simple practise. Another plus for the Blaser is that their triggers generally do not require any adjusting.

I cant comment on Sauer as I don't have one, but there`s a young German fellow who can shoot boar with the 202, who is in a class of his own. He can operate the bolt as fast if not faster than a straight pull rifle. I will probably get a 202 at some stage but I reach for a Blaser everytime

Faced with a similar decision a few years ago I opted for the Blaser, I remain happy with my choice. Try before you buy if you can.

atb Tim

How about something a little diff' at only cú8K with mounts and nice scope?

K

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    .......... If I was starting again, I would find it hard to go past a Blaser.

Regards

JCS
    There is the truth of it, and I've tried them all, Sauer, Blaser, Sako, semi-custom.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like i may be heading for a blaser thenWhat is that klenchblaize? that is stunning!!!