Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASE UTRA SL5 powder coated.

ASE UTRA SL5 powder coated.

Hi guys
    Having previously purchased an ASE UTRA SL5 moderator in 25 cal for a stainless synthetic sako 85 in 243 caibre, I was impressed by it's performance and it's compact dimensions, it only adds 4 inches to the overall length of the rifle and weighs in at 14oz, which is reasonable given it's sturdy stainless steel construction and build quality.

I have decided to go with the same mod again in 30 calibre after recently purchasing a Tikka T3 in 270 cal. The T3 is blued so a stainless moderator wouldn't look quite right in my opinion, so I have just got the mod powder coated with a textured finish. I think the finish suits the gun well and it will be interested to see how the finish stands up. Incidentally I phoned Jackson Rifles (the importers) to confirm that the powder coating process would not affect the warranty prior to getting the powder coating done.

I thought about getting the mod Cerakoted but having to pay RFD fees each way due to there being nobody local that could do the job was slightly off putting.

Here is a photo of the two mods together. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has had a moderator powder coated and if so how durable the finish was.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 07-05-2014 at 20:18.

You can post moderators to rfd's

I have a SL5 .30 cal which has been Cerakoted. Great mod and a whole lot smaller and lighter than it's S5 predecessor which I have on another rifle which is incidentally coated with a Hydrographic dip! The Cerakote seems to be more durable though.
    How will the powder coating cope with the heat I wonder? They can get bloody hot after a few shots!
    MS
    I just did a bit of 'Googeling' and found that you need to have a special heat resistant powder coat to go above 200 degrees.
    I'm guessing a mod would get hotter than that with continual use. I hope he used a heat resistant one?
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 07-05-2014 at 17:04.

Hi Off-road Gary, As far as I am aware posting has to be done between two RFD's...For example, a friend of mine had a moderator sent to an RFD local to him. He was then charged 25 by the Local RFD on collection of the moderator, which I think was rather expensive. This also didn't include the cost charged by the sending RFD.

I understand prices vary wildly - with some RFD's charging as little as 7.50 whilst others charging similar to the above.... But before I get slated by RFD's saying things like "we have to make a living"- yes I agree, but over charging is a good way of losing customers and can be quite detrimental in the long run.
    Last edited by paultap; 07-05-2014 at 17:39.

The powder coater I used is a gunsmith and only charged a nominal fee. I was told that if the finish didn't hold up then It would be bead blasted back to the original finish. If that turns out to be the case then Cerakoting would be my next option.
    Last edited by paultap; 07-05-2014 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Hi Off-road Gary, As far as I am aware posting has to be done between two RFD's...For example, a friend of mine had a moderator sent to an RFD local to him. He was then charged 25 by the Local RFD on collection of the moderator, which I think was rather expensive. This also didn't include the cost charged by the sending RFD.

I understand prices vary wildly - with some RFD's charging as little as 7.50 whilst others charging similar to the above.... But before I get slated by RFD's saying things like "we have to make a living"- yes I agree, but over charging is a good way of losing customers and can be quite detrimental in the long run.
    You could have sent your mod via normal post to a rfd, who could coat it, and then send it back via normal post. What you have described is a third party transfer via an rfd, who would have signed moderator onto your mates ticket and quite rightly charged for the service. If you send a moderator to jacksons for repair or upgrade, it is done through normal post. Same applies if the coater is an rfd, and most are. Trust you find this of use..

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    You could have sent your mod via normal post to a rfd, who could coat it, and then send it back via normal post. What you have described is a third party transfer via an rfd, who would have signed moderator onto your mates ticket and quite rightly charged for the service. If you send a moderator to jacksons for repair or upgrade, it is done through normal post. Same applies if the coater is an rfd, and most are. Trust you find thanks.this of use..
    Thanks very much for the information, I was not aware of this, I had assumed that because the mod had been entered onto a firearms certificate that it could not be sent via normal post.

many thanks.

Paultap, how do you find the SL5 with the .270? Any muzzle flash and is it enough to eliminate the boom?

Cheers,

Chris

Dear all

Go to your local car parts place I think Halfords, buy a can of Hycote VHT Black spray paint up to 650 C
    It is matt black exhaust paint, which is exactly what I wanted
    I have done two SL5's and a Ultra Northstar all for 6.99
    And have enough to re do them each twice more at least

best regards

Dodge

Quote Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
    Paultap, how do you find the SL5 with the .270? Any muzzle flash and is it enough to eliminate the boom?

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris, as soon as I try it I will let you know.

regards Paul.