Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forest of Dean Cull Figures

Forest of Dean Cull Figures

For those of you who are interested I just received some numbers from the Forestry Commission for the cull in the Forest for the year ending 31st March 2014:

Fallow 341
    Roe 36
    Muntjac 36
    Boar 195

The numbers include any RTAs dealt with.

Their thermal imaging census produced:

1130 deer (non species specific)
    535 boar ("minimum number and not including juvenile recruitment")

So that's a cull and population figure of roughly 1 boar to 2 deer.

When I last asked they were shooting munties on sight but adopting a more management based approach with the roe. There is also a small number of reds on the edge of the forest but these are not being culled.

A very interesting post Paul Thanks. I know there is a big cull on boar planned looks like they need it.

Interesting stuff Paul - thanks. On that basis, the boar are going nowhere then!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Interesting.
    Let's not forget that this is just the cull from the FC and doesn't include any privateer's.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

They need to get on top of those boar asap as it looks to me like they heading out of control I believe that boar have quite big litters.It will not be the muntie we have to worry about ,if the boar get a strong hold the countryside is doomed .its bad enough trying to keep on top off the munties down here we don't need boar as well ,I shot 18 munties out of a 5 acre block last year and some there seems to be a influx coming back
    Last edited by berg; 08-05-2014 at 09:39.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there teyhan! The FC don't ask local stalkers for any figures for any species as far as I am aware, which to me would make good sense for their future cull plans. Saying that, I see lots of all 4 species mentioned on my travels so still plenty about. With the boar in particular, if the FC considered the numbers culled by local stalkers I think it would make for some fairly high numbers. I have one keeper friend who up until the start of this year had shot 102 boar in the preceding year, so 50% of the FC total!

ATB

T
    Last edited by thomas; 08-05-2014 at 12:46.

Suppose that a lot depends on the timing of the census vs the date of collation of the cull figures...

So are there private landowners in the Forest of Dean as well as the FC, each with their own stalkers and pest controllers?

If so it sounds to me like there is a case for a deer management group set up for the whole area who would liaise with stalkers, landowners, FC, etc, to assess and control the population of boar and deer! Or am I being too simplistic?

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

6 pointer,

Watching Wild Boar Fever the other night and recall on each DVD the mention that Wild Boar have a reproduction growth rate of 400% a year.
    So, 535 boar in the survey could be 2140 in 12 months time if none killed (by whatever reason).

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    So are there private landowners in the Forest of Dean as well as the FC, each with their own stalkers and pest controllers?

If so it sounds to me like there is a case for a deer management group set up for the whole area who would liaise with stalkers, landowners, FC, etc, to assess and control the population of boar and deer! Or am I being too simplistic?

Stratts
    Yes there are many private landowners in and around the forest. There is also a deer management group operating in the area that brings together most of the main players and the landowners. Don't worry Stratts there is no shortage of stalkers in the forest in fact getting any sort of stalking can be a long wait as it can be pretty much dead man's shoes.
    Last edited by 8x57; 08-05-2014 at 12:57.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.