Thread: Falconing on a Sunday in Scotland

Falconing on a Sunday in Scotland

Does anyone know the legal status of this ?

Thanks
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by guybaxendale View Post
    Does anyone know the legal status of this ?

Thanks
    Guy
    Game birds would be a no, vermin I can't see it would be any different from shooting them on a sunday, in fact i'm sure it is worded 'taking' so would;d cover any form of hunting

Strangely u can actually shoot game birds in scotland on a sunday (in season obviously). Not done as not the 'done thing' but not actually illegal. I would phone scottish basc to check, i'm sure i'm right thou,.
    Heard off odd dog training days on sundays as most dog folk are busy other days, but most folk aren't keen to do it as seems strange but not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Strangely u can actually shoot game birds in scotland on a sunday (in season obviously). Not done as not the 'done thing' but not actually illegal. I would phone scottish basc to check, i'm sure i'm right thou,.
    Heard off odd dog training days on sundays as most dog folk are busy other days, but most folk aren't keen to do it as seems strange but not illegal.
    Think you are right:

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or Christmas Day but it is not customary to do so. The wildfowl species listed may not be shot on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Thought i was going to get shot down and a load of abuse there with a load of folk saying i was wrong

Aye but down south u can shoot wildfowl on a sunday, but is illegal to take game birds. Wonder how they ever came up with the game laws

Will depend where u are and wot ur flying it on? Possibly different laws for falcons too i have no idea

In the borders on Grouse. I cant find any specific laws about falconing.

Taking grouse or any other gamebird on a Sunday in Scotland with a trained bird of prey is perfectly legal. Game seasons apply obviously.
    The term is falconry or grouse hawking .

Quote Originally Posted by guybaxendale View Post
    In the borders on Grouse. I cant find any specific laws about falconing.
    No one would ever see u up the back at ur dad's anyway.

U could do some damage to numbers up there if ur flying them over quill, best dog i've seen on the moors, joy to watch work, and her young 1 is fairly coming on now too

Done my time beating up there, 2nd steepest moor i go too, many a year i've wished started fitness campign/diet earlier, usually coming to the top of hill face bright red, steam coming out my ears and blowing out my a**e

Still love it thou

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    No one would ever see u up the back at ur dad's anyway.

U could do some damage to numbers up there if ur flying them over quill, best dog i've seen on the moors, joy to watch work, and her young 1 is fairly coming on now too

Done my time beating up there, 2nd steepest moor i go too, many a year i've wished started fitness campign/diet earlier, usually coming to the top of hill face bright red, steam coming out my ears and blowing out my a**e

Still love it thou

It can be brutal.

They are bring their own dogs and going to 6 different moors so far so not sure what day will be where. Just wanted to get the legalities of it nailed down as its not something i know anything about (quite clear by the fact that i don't even know the correct term for it !)