Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where does the fox go?

where does the fox go?

was out early this morning on some new permission - no bucks in sight, but did see a couple of fallow pricket and a roe doe. It was looking like an empty bag as the clock ticked on past 6, but then I spotted a fox (possibly the recent visitor to the landowner's chicken coop) and shot it as per standing instructions of said landowner

Now this was my first fox, and hadn't given much thought to what I should do with carcass. Rather than leaving it in the middle of a field, it went into the hedgerow - logic was this is out of sight of walkers (if not of their dogs) and becomes food for the crows and foxes??

Would be interested to know what people do with a) the occasional fox; and b) multiple carcasses if you are out specifically for fox (e.g. lamping)?

cheers
    Tony

Put them out for the Garbage Collection Operatives and stuck two 20 notes in a Christmas card to them each year. Until that is they commenced this recycling malarkey.

I never leave dead critters on a permission.

K

I do whatever the farmer wants me to do. Around here, that usually involves the nearest hedge.

Dead skip on the farm, smells lovely this time of year

I shot 91 last year and they tend to work in the same areas so they get put in the same places...I make sure not to leave them on a foot path but as a mate said, who's to say it was not hit by a car and died there.
    As I walk the land a lot of the big trees have a fox under them...common sense is the key.
    Foot paths, small holders boarders or stables where the girls can see them is a good way to get moaned at...
    Those 4 were on a sheep farm and would sit near the lambing stalls...
    Well done on your first fox...I would swap my foxes for a couple of roe bucks!!

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    I shot 91 last year and they tend to work in the same areas so they get put in the same places...I make sure not to leave them on a foot path but as a mate said, who's to say it was not hit by a car and died there.
    As I walk the land a lot of the big trees have a fox under them...common sense is the key.
    Foot paths, small holders boarders or stables where the girls can see them is a good way to get moaned at...
    Those 4 were on a sheep farm and would sit near the lambing stalls...
    Well done on your first fox...I would swap my foxes for a couple of roe bucks!!

Tim.243
    thanks guys - all very helpful.

I do all sorts. 2 farms have incinerators and another 2 have straw burners so I drop the carcase at a prearranged place. Some places its the nearest hedge.

Some go to the taxidermist for his stock.

Most of mine last year got collected by FERA for testing for trichonella so that solved my problem nicely.

I dont like leaving them on the permission if there is no formal disposal but if I do I try to conceal them pretty well, ie shoved down a hole, bottom of a ditch, that kind of thing

a little common sense really,
    not in a ditch which leads to a water course,
    not near a footpath etc.
    thick bramble patch in the woods

the roads are awash with dead foxes, badgers, deer, rabbits.

in winter often a dead fox will lie undisturbed for weeks,
    but they dissappear pretty quick in summer.

If I was a regular(pro) foxer I might have to devise another source of disposal,
    but I only shoot them locally on the pheasant shoot

All down to preferences of landowner/s with us, some go in the headland tall growth, some on the midden or bonfire heap, some get bagged up & removed to the domestic bin.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Discreetly out of sight in deep undergrowth away from humans and dog walkers. I shoot a lot over various golf courses and unless the course manager has specific instructions a suitable spot is found. They really do 'disappear' pretty quickly.