Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss ASV/BDC

Zeiss ASV/BDC

I will hopefully be in the market for a new scope in the next few months (if my flat ever sells!) and have thought that the new Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 would be a good option (I'd pair it with a range finder for accurate practicing and for longer range shots). As I intend to use it on my .243 mainly for foxing and a bit of deer stalking I was thinking the ASV model would be good, allowing me to practice out to longer ranges and then when suitable, range longer shots on foxes.

From what I can work out the ASV only gives a guide on general bullet trajectories (different rings or stickers) and how many clicks needed to correct the POI so I'd have to work out exactly where the rounds go at different ranges and put in a little table etc anyway.

My question is, is the ASV/BDC turret accurate enough or good enough to use as it is (out to 400m 4-6 inch targets) and with a max of 12x mag or would I be better off with a scope with 'proper' target turrets (SIIISS 6-24x50 LRD for example) and get out practicing and work out the drops at given distances? Nearly all of my shooting is done in daylight or under a lamp so the twighlight factor being better by the German scopes isn't such an issue.

I had the s3 6x24x50mill dot no regreats on the scope better than the 5x15x56 night force I had turrets on the s3 are 100percent dial in back re dial spot on glass was not bad. not top stuff but for varminting long rainge stuff spot on the dot on the s3 may be no good for lamping too small as its for target use the s3 is good with night vision and can go to 12x under a derilight red led my recommendation sightron for what your doing others may disagree each to there own if its long rainge shooting your doing go s3

My scope has the BDC and I have used it several times on paper punching exercises. It works well and does what is says on the tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    My scope has the BDC and I have used it several times on paper punching exercises. It works well and does what is says on the tin.
    Did you find it as accurate as expected or did you have to make corrections and note them down? It sounds very good and ideal for what I need in a hunting scope with the ability to use for target practice and longer range varmints.

For about 40-50 Zeiss will laser etch a custom turret for the ASV+ system.
    Unless your using very low drag ammo the 9 standard turrets cover the options well.
    Then theres the standard ring with the cm increments on which you can use for reference.
    I'm using 75gr max in my 22250 and theres a turret which even comes close enough for that that i can hit my gong at 600m's

Setting mine up.

and how normal hold over lets you down at longer ranges.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 09-05-2014 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Did you find it as accurate as expected or did you have to make corrections and note them down? It sounds very good and ideal for what I need in a hunting scope with the ability to use for target practice and longer range varmints.
    It was as accurate as it could be. Any variation is due to the shooter, I felt. Once I got tired or my eyes got a bit irritated the accuracy dropped. Before that it was absolutely fine.

I would use the turret as a guide albeit near as dammit tho

but if you have the range time to fine tune your acuracy for the distances you want itll give you more confidence than relying on what is supplied as a supposed tragectory of your ammo

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    For about 40-50 Zeiss will laser etch a custom turret for the ASV+ system.
    Unless your using very low drag ammo the 9 standard turrets cover the options well.
    Then theres the standard ring with the cm increments on which you can use for reference.
    I'm using 75gr max in my 22250 and theres a turret which even comes close enough for that that i can hit my gong at 600m's

Setting mine up.

and how normal hold over lets you down at longer ranges.
    Have the asv turret on zeiss 6x24x56 works really well. so contacted zeiss to see if they would fit a windage type asv turret as the windage turret on this scope is under screw cap.they got back to me and wanted 260 +tax thought that was a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    I would use the turret as a guide albeit near as dammit tho

but if you have the range time to fine tune your acuracy for the distances you want itll give you more confidence than relying on what is supplied as a supposed tragectory of your ammo
    I assume then the scope comes with a ballistics program that you load in your data for the round you use and it suggests the turret ring that best matches your ammo trajectory? So for target shooting maybe not 100% accurate but for shooting a steel fox etc should get you to within 2-3 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I assume then the scope comes with a ballistics program that you load in your data for the round you use and it suggests the turret ring that best matches your ammo trajectory? So for target shooting maybe not 100% accurate but for shooting a steel fox etc should get you to within 2-3 inches?
    Yes to your first statement. There is a ballistics program that you load in your data for the round you use and it suggests the correct metal strip (there are four) that best matches your ammo trajectory. As for your second statement, it is a hunting aid. I have, out of curiosity, used it on paper targets up to 350 yards out and it was accurate within an inch or two. But once again, the metal strip and the program is part of the set up. It might have been me that was not consistent to get 100% reliability, or accurate/lucky to get within an inch of my 100m performance at 350. I trust that it is as reliable as I need it to be though, and that is all the thought I am giving it...