Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition... Do you crimp?

Ammunition... Do you crimp?

Hi guys,

Having reloaded thousands of rounds of pistol calibre ammunition in the past (The good old days!) and also for my 44 mag lever action rifle, I have always applied a crimp after seating the bullet heads. I am new to reloading rifle ammunition and wondered what the general consensus is on applying a crimp, I know some people don't but thought I would seek a little advice. I will be loading for .243 and .270 calibre.

For those that recommend applying a crimp, I use the lee factory crimp die ( LFC die) for pistol ammunition, is the appropriate LFC die for rifle ammunition recommended or are there better alternatives?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 08-05-2014 at 20:03.

theres a few threads on the subject if you search
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Hi,
    I was like yourself when i first started with CF Rifles, My mate sometimes crimped and sometimes not as on speaking to loads of shooters some did and others did not, well i was starting out and before i got all my reloading gear, i went out with my mate and several bullet heads fell out of his magazine and i could do nothing but laugh, well year n half later i crimp all of my loads and i have being doing not too bad, trial and error, if first you dont succeed try try again, the bit i found hardest was judging the pressure to put on the crimp

Always crimp here.
    I started doing it on the 22 Hornet, as it improved accuracy (tightened groups) I found it also gave more velocity.
    I am now been crimping .223, .243 and 7.62x39, all are better with the crimp.

Neil.

I think there is some robust testing to be conducted here and critically in comparing not only crimped and uncrimped but varying degrees of neck TENSION in the context of the latter.

K

For hunting ammunition it's wise to crimp & the Lee factory crimp dies do an exemplary job. I don't know of a better tool for crimping.
    A sensibly applied (not too heavy) crimp usually improves accuracy, reduces the likelyhood of bullet movement under recoil in the magazine and reduces the chance of a bullet coming out of the case in the rifle, & the powder filling the action.
    IMHO inexperienced reloaders have enough to learn without the complication of playing with neck tension. Lee FL dies & Factory crimp dies are a good option to produce fine quality reloads.

Ian

Other than pistol ammo. I didn't crimp throughout twenty five years of reloading. Now I crimp using the Lee FC Die and have found the extreme spread on my chrono'd ammo shrunk and is less variable. That means I get more consistent MV with my crimped ammo as well as improved accuracy.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    For hunting ammunition it's wise to crimp & the Lee factory crimp dies do an exemplary job. I don't know of a better tool for crimping.
    A sensibly applied (not too heavy) crimp usually improves accuracy, reduces the likelyhood of bullet movement under recoil in the magazine and reduces the chance of a bullet coming out of the case in the rifle, & the powder filling the action.
    IMHO inexperienced reloaders have enough to learn without the complication of playing with neck tension. Lee FL dies & Factory crimp dies are a good option to produce fine quality reloads.

Ian

Hi Ian

Assuming that’s a reference to my observation then I’ve done a poor job in explaining myself relative to Hornet 6's statement that since commencing crimping his groups have shrunk so I’ll try again:

What mechanical property is imparted upon crimping (the clue is in the word!) if not one of significantly increasing neck tension??

Therefore my suggestion for experimenting with this single reloading variable is based on the possibly incorrect assertion that by similarly increasing neck tension during case *resizing it may be possible to duplicate the same accuracy advantage realised when crimping. (*Note: Clearly c/o a neck bushing type die.)

The other incontrovertible advantage of crimping relative to a round that will be used for hunting and in heavily recoiling rifles is not in question.

Cheers

K

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 09-05-2014 at 07:35.

Hi K
    You are right - I should have explained better - I should have said that the Lee factory crimp die achieves great end results in the simplest way possible without much experimentation - Just follow the instructions provided by Lee & enjoy the shooting.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

Therefore my suggestion for experimenting with this single reloading variable is based on the possibly incorrect assertion that by similarly increasing neck tension during case *resizing it may be possible to duplicate the same accuracy advantage realised when crimping. (*Note: Clearly c/o a neck bushing type die.)
    While playing with the 6mmPPC I found that no matter how tightly you size brass when a bullet is inserted the brass stretches.
    The stretch in the brass is what limits neck tension, in reality that would mean no difference in tension no matter how tightly you
    size the brass once you have reached the limits of the brass. Where that limit is is will vary with the brass,, but probably no more
    than a .002" interference fit is achievable, all a - .050" fit would do is over work the brass, not increase neck tension.

Neil.