Your rifes and your wife

Southern

I started to respond to the thread about justifying a .308 when one has a 6.5x55, but I decided this is a common subject brought up in many threads.

How do you manage your buying shotguns, rifles, and hunting trips, with your wife?

As with anything in life, there are better ways of doing things, how they should be done, and rules.

The first obvious rule is that one shouldn't spend money they can't afford, especially if it gets in the way of vital expenses and savings. But it is good to stretch a little sometimes, or, as we did as boys, dream and save money.

You should be in the open about it. It shouldn't become a problem between you and your spouse. But you shouldn't trade spending, her buying something because you did.

Don't act independently. Discuss it, and see if your reasoning stands up. And see if there is something negative going on with her that needs adjusting, some incompatibility that can be straightened out.

Ideally, you should do it by the principle of Enthusiastic Agreement, and be honest and open about it. That might mean selling an old car, or two unused pedestrian rifles in order to buy that one you think you will keep forever.

I have a friend who earns a lot of money, but was, for years, unable to buy a second centerfire rifle or another shotgun. He just tossed and turned over it. He and his wife were on a trip and stopped in a little town to eat and meander a while. He went into this gun store ( of course ), and called me from there, asking about a 1936 Winchester in pristine condition. I told him it was a deal. I knew the dealer. His wife came in, and they left. He told her about this rifle, that it was worth twice the asking $1500, and she said, "Why don't you get it? Reward yourself for all the work you have been doing."

That's the way it ought to work. And your wife can surprise you like that.

---- Freudian mistake: Got interrupted and typed "rife" instead of "rifle". Ha!

Treat her like a mushroom...

My wife thinks a 250 bird day costs "about a 100 quid each", she is starting to get wise to Swarovski prices...

When my wife used to ask how many rifles I had got the answer "Nearly enough!"

However I now have my nine year old son acting as a super grass! :doh:

am scared to comment on this topic for fear that the mrs will castrate me. I have got my rifles and guns in hope to beable to recooperate the costs with work :)

Top tips from me

all my guns have synthetic stocks. All look anti alike and just say you have seen this one before
leave the house with an empty gun bag
if she notices I bought it cheap to do it up
never get them all out at the same time

just a few tricks I have learnt in 6 months of marriage

oh and sole bank account

I was always told never tell the left hand what the right hand is doing and its alway been that way out of sight out of mind

Guy I had been talking to reference rifle numbers says he always takes two rifle cases out and returns with two as normal, small difference is, on occasions the one that is always empty going out, sometimes comes back with a rifle in, the criteria is to keep the man cave door tightly shut as all times to avoid detection. :rofl:

We have a simple system. As we earn equally we pay an equal amount into a joint account each month and some into a joint savings account. It's used for food, bills, holidays, household expenses. Then I have my account with my money and she has hers. If I want a new gun I buy one. If she wants a silly expensive handbag or shoes she buys them. If she wants to save all her money and me spend mine that's fine. We may rib each other, but it's none of my business what she wants to spend her money on and same with me and my money.

It works. The bills are paid first.

I treasure the comment my wife made as I was considering what to buy as a first rifle. I'd brought back a doe I'd shot with an estate rifle and we tucked into the fillets. Her comment: "If this is what you can produce, it doesn't matter what you spend on the rifle" !!!!

However a few rifles later and I get some gentle grief if no venison is forthcoming!

Been there loads of times over the past couple of years, need to remember to say they are second hand as she has not got a clue whether its new or second hand now.
**** knows what i will do if ever she finds my account details, hiding these at the moment in my gun cupboard haha she cant get in there haha.

I have done this for as long as i have had a wife 30yrs ish, i say "going out shoot love" and she see's me and a gun slip going out the door ! what she do't no is that in the slip is a wooden stick and i carry it as if i have a rifle within. I then go a get my new toy's and come back some hours later and put it or them away in full view without her even suspecting a thing :eek:

hay it works for me !!!!:old:

Tell them f--k all, I like to see her face when another parcel comes through the door,looks like she is chewing a wasp :D,what av you brought now yak yak yak yak, I say av I asked you to pay for it,what the eyes dont see :D

The wife is a financial auditor. She sniffs out fraud and lies for a living. She could tell you at any time what the balance for each and every account is and can tell you the account numbers and sort codes from memory. She's even caught out the banks on occasion.

Fooling her just isn't an option. However, if I'm honest, show her the maths and explain it, she usually let's me buy. She once explained that she has a mental figure by which she values me not being a grumpy bugger. Unfortunately she won't tell me what that figure is.

We have a simple system. As we earn equally we pay an equal amount into a joint account each month and some into a joint savings account. It's used for food, bills, holidays, household expenses. Then I have my account with my money and she has hers. If I want a new gun I buy one. If she wants a silly expensive handbag or shoes she buys them. If she wants to save all her money and me spend mine that's fine. We may rib each other, but it's none of my business what she wants to spend her money on and same with me and my money.

It works. The bills are paid first.

This X 2 , never had to sneak anything by the wife in 25 plus years , life's much easier that way .
AB

Back