Thread: Council tax woes

Council tax woes

Hi all. I wounder if anyone has any experience in the following issue. I'd be curious to see if you got a more favourable outcome than me.
    I moved house last month, and as instructed filled in an online form in advance to inform the council of my upcoming change of address. My new house is under a different council.
    Today I checked my bank balance to find that a direct debit has gone out for council tax in the area I no longer live in. This is paid in advance, so I called the council and after waiting on hold for the obligatory half hour was eventually told that "yes Mr Simple, you have paid for a month too many... But... You have to wait until the 22nd before you can apply for a refund... And then it might take 10 days for it to come."
    I asked why I had to wait and he fed me a line about it taking time for the money to reach their accounts. But then he said that he could see the payment on the system?
    I asked him (politely) how I was supposed to cover the cost of everything in the meantime when theyre holding on to over 100 of my money that I hadn't budgeted for. All he could say was sorry.
    Unfortunately, sorry doesn't work as currency at the supermarket or petrol station. I told him this and he said that I could speak to a manager, although he might not say any different. So I said "yes please" expecting to go back on hold, then he said "ok, he'll call you in the next 48 hours".
    Has anyone had similar, and did you manage to get the money back any faster? It just seems disgusting to me that if I owed them money I very much doubt they'd take "call me back in 14 days" as an answer. Not to mention the fact that this is over 100 I've effectively already spent before they propose to give it back.
    Any advice or similar experiences?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I had that once years ago, I blame myself for not cancelling the direct debit.
    It took a lot longer than 10 days to get it back.
    The last couple of times I have moved I have cancelled every direct debit or standing order for all housing hold bills before actually moving.
    It is much easier to sort out an underpayment than to get money back, and simple to set new ones up for the new address.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 09-05-2014 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I had that once years ago, I blame myself for not cancelling the direct debit.
    It took a lot longer than 10 days to get it back.
    The last couple of times I have moved I have cancelled every direct debit or standing order for all housing hold bills before actually moving.
    It is much easier to sort out an underpayment than to get money back, and simple to set new ones up for the new address.

Neil.
    Aye, foolishly I trusted them to get it right
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Aye, foolishly I trusted them to get it right
    That's ok, lesson now learnt, and you won't do it again will you ?

Neil.

Haha.
    We'll now I'm investing whether I can get HSBC to refund me under the direct debit guarantee.
    Blog

Haha.
    We'll now I'm investing whether I can get HSBC to refund me under the direct debit guarantee.
    Blog

Simon,
    Don't use direct debits in the future, set up a standing order instead, then you are back in control again and you won't be feeling that you have been had!

took 3 months with east staffs d,c to stop them demanding n threatening mum when she moved .they all said yes she,d cancelled n no they couldnt understand why it kept happening but it must be the computer .mmm i said the computer that you lot input ,doesnt do it its self does it.council an employer for people who,d otherwise be unemployed

I once phoned the council planning department with an enquiry. The clerk was unhelpful, so I asked for her manager. He was near her desk at the time so took her phone. It wasn't going well with him, so I suggested he re-thought the service implication of being a "public servant". He was aghast and said he resented the very term. He obviously resented the phrase "civil servant" as he had no conception of that either.