Thread: Police Scotland experiment...

Police Scotland experiment...

An interesting comparison:

I submitted an application for a 1-for-1 variation to exchange my .243 for another. Submitted via Fettes. Submitted 16 April, due back 'sometime next week'. So essentially a month to do something that should take 10 minutes.

A friend submitted his first application for grant of a NEW FAC (.22LR and .243) in Fife. Submitted 22 April, got it back YESTERDAY (May 8). So essentially 2 weeks (including a bank holiday) to do something that takes Fettes over 3 months.

There can be no good reason for this sort of disparity.

The worst part of it was that all my paperwork was sent to the FEO in Galashiels! Why? WHY??

Apparently this is a sign of things to come: paperwork is to be delegated to 'underused' FEOs in remoter areas. So you may hand in your documents in Glasgow or Aberdeen, but it could end up being sent off to Thurso or Dumfries. It will only stay with your local guy if a home visit is required.

AAaaargh. I weep.

I applied for a re-grant if you like after handing in my ticket around 3 years ago due to family commitments although I held onto my SGC.
    11 weeks it took from start to finish. For a first time grant I could understand this but I'm a previous holder (for around 15 years) and have been a SGC holder for over 20 years continuously.
    Now, what didn't they know about me after that length of time or is it a case of being seriously under-manned or just absolute disorganisation?
    The FEO was up for my interview about 1 1/2 weeks after my initial application so it must be log jamming after that.
    He assured me that my application would be at Fettes the Tuesday following the interview which it was. When phoning to enquire I was told they could tell me nothing except it was being processed but during a follow up call I was informed it was on the inspectors desk waiting to be signed.
    I agree, too much disparity.

Regular Poster
    You think your lot are bad! I applied for my new SGC on the 5th of september with West Mercia. No home visit 'till after Christmas and certificate finally granted on 24/1/14 and I reckon it might have been longer if I hadn't sent them a strongly worded email pointing out that their website said 6 weeks and that they had now cost me an entire season of shooting with my syndicate which I would expect them to pay for if they didn't get their arse in gear. Funnily enough, 2 days after said email I got a grovelling email apologising for the delays. Certificate arrived 2 days after that.

Sent mine in to Pitt street at the turn of the year to get an additional cf added (204) and had it back within two weeks, wouldve only been a week if i didnt forget the cheque!! d'oh!! so no complaints about there and a few freinds have had really quick turn arounds as well. I think im going to trade in 243 for a new 243 so i'll update with how long this takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    An interesting comparison:

I submitted an application for a 1-for-1 variation to exchange my .243 for another. Submitted via Fettes. Submitted 16 April, due back 'sometime next week'. So essentially a month to do something that should take 10 minutes.

A friend submitted his first application for grant of a NEW FAC (.22LR and .243) in Fife. Submitted 22 April, got it back YESTERDAY (May 8). So essentially 2 weeks (including a bank holiday) to do something that takes Fettes over 3 months.

There can be no good reason for this sort of disparity.

The worst part of it was that all my paperwork was sent to the FEO in Galashiels! Why? WHY??

Apparently this is a sign of things to come: paperwork is to be delegated to 'underused' FEOs in remoter areas. So you may hand in your documents in Glasgow or Aberdeen, but it could end up being sent off to Thurso or Dumfries. It will only stay with your local guy if a home visit is required.

AAaaargh. I weep.

Although it goes under Police Scotland I have been informed that the firearms licensing still work as five areas covered by the old individual districts ie L&B,Strathclyde,Tayside etc.The plan is to get all onto one computer system,don't hold your breath.A friend also in Edinburgh has got his FAC and shotgun renewal now and it doesn't expire till October. I believe its due to the Commonwealth Games !!!!!!
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a 'orrible c@#t, me.

Have nothing but praise for pitt st i never post anything though always go in speek too them face too face very helpful

Sold 2 rifles today in inverness handed my ticket in for a one for one had it back in 5 minutes returned to the shop picked up my new rifle. I then returned to the station to have the new rifle printed on my certificate. Whole process a hour and a half. We are spoiled in inverness some truly outstanding service from the highland constabulary firearms licensing.

This might sound daft, but why go back to the station to have it printed on your ticket? surely the shop entered it onto your certificate? wouldn't that mean printing yet another certificate just to do away with a hand written entry or am I missing something?
    Jase.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    You think your lot are bad! I applied for my new SGC on the 5th of september with West Mercia. No home visit 'till after Christmas and certificate finally granted on 24/1/14 and I reckon it might have been longer if I hadn't sent them a strongly worded email pointing out that their website said 6 weeks and that they had now cost me an entire season of shooting with my syndicate which I would expect them to pay for if they didn't get their arse in gear. Funnily enough, 2 days after said email I got a grovelling email apologising for the delays. Certificate arrived 2 days after that.
    I think if more people were willing to complain, the process would speed up no end. If people are unhappy about the delay and are willing to ask their firearms department the following question...."who above the firearms manager do I put a formal complaint to in writing, regarding this totally unacceptable delay?"... The processing of their application/variation would very probably suddenly become rather more of a priority!
    Last edited by paultap; 09-05-2014 at 18:30.